Chrysophytes in new tank

hermits would be better to deal with stringy algae. See if you can find bigger ones at a LFS.

I would guess the Australian rock released a lot of nutrients if it was shipped to you and promoted the algae it brought in.

It will go away eventually, or here’s a potentially more aggressive method - let it grow uncontrolled under full light until the algae turns white and semi-translucent (nutrient low enough to starve it out), then take the rocks out and give it a real good scrub.

Very different strategy to whats already mentioned, but could result in a quicker turnaround tho especially when you don’t have corals to worry about. Be sparing on your feeding never hurts when the coral load is low.
Sounds good, I do have 6 in there now but ill see of I can find some different size ones too.
I picked up the rock at my LFS, so hopefully there was some good nutrients brought with it.

I never had a massive ammonia spike however, just a mid range rise and decrease so maybe a mini cycle. Either way I plan to ride this out and sort things out along the way. If the no light, snail and neophos combo don't do anything then I will give your method a go.

Thanks for your help!
 
Did you observe any fish deaths with
Heavy breathing?
Hello,

No fish deaths as of yet and their breathing all seemed normal. It has all cleared up now thankfully. I just let it run its course with the lights off and kept the parameters stable.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new