ChukeeR's 266G Reef Savvy + Synergy Reef Build / Upgrade

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you find the best place to set the open channel in regards to the water level. I have my water level in the middle of the weir, so does that mean I need to set the open channel above the water line so that it barely has any water traveling through it at normal operation. I have an internal overflow just like ChukkerR.

Which one are you referring to as the open channel? The one without a valve?

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tank ran for a few hours but I have the overflow drains pulled. I'm going to shorten the main siphon a tad, install a new bulkhead in place of the leaky one, and move the gate valve down to the basement...just waiting for the UPS man to show up with the bulkheads!

42209f17b2cca046a802bfac49f1fa00.jpg

FireEMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tank ran for a few hours but I have the overflow drains pulled. I'm going to shorten the main siphon a tad, install a new bulkhead in place of the leaky one, and move the gate valve down to the basement...just waiting for the UPS man to show up with the bulkheads!

42209f17b2cca046a802bfac49f1fa00.jpg
Good luck, one thing I did that I learned from a YouTube video. I didn't glue the drain pipes to the slip joints on the bulkheads. That way you can make a change to the length without having to change the bulkheads. It seals up just fine with friction.

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, one thing I did that I learned from a YouTube video. I didn't glue the drain pipes to the slip joints on the bulkheads. That way you can make a change to the length without having to change the bulkheads. It seals up just fine with friction.

So far no leak with the new bulkhead! Will keep an eye on it though.

I originally had not glued the pipes inside the overflow box into the bulkheads, but when i glued the plumbing under the tank some of the glue must have got onto the pieces that originally were not glued.

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked the tank this morning, no leaky bulkheads...Going to fire it up again tonight!

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the updates. fun build and great photos. good work. how is the finger and dexterity? back 100%?

Thanks! :)

Finger is good...most people can't tell unless I point it out to them. Typing is perfectly fine too. I've just noticed that when I'm outside (now that the snow has started) that, that finger goes numb pretty quick...I guess it'll probably have some pretty poor circulation.

Fish room from a different angle when I had the tank running briefly this past weekend...Need to get this tank cycled so I can move my Apex over from my other tank and clean up the cords and what not...

image1(6).JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what the heck I'm doing wrong, but even with a new bulkhead still seeing the slightest leak. Everything looked dry yesterday morning (after water sat in the overflow box overnight), came home from work and checked and there was a few drops of water in-between the threads. I wiped the water drops, turned the nut on the bulkhead about 1/8 of a turn, kept an eye on things and everything was dry a few hours later when I went to bed. Woke up this morning, checked the threads on the bulkhead again and a couple very small drops of water was between the threads.

The overflow box has 4 other bulkheads and none of those are leaking, so I'm not really sure why this one is any different. I'm sure when I get home tonight there will be a few drops of water in the threads and I can take pictures if it helps. I just don't know why bulkheads in this particular spot are giving me such grief.

(Note: before I installed the new bulkhead I wiped the area with a towel to make sure it was dry and clean)

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the washer to make sure it doesn't have any defects?

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the washer to make sure it doesn't have any defects?

Yep, I did that prior to installing as this is the second bulkhead I've tried.

The leak seems to be like two or three drops per day...maybe if I just let it be it'll fix itself?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with my cube...could never figure out what the issue was so I gave up and ended up putting a bead of silicone around it and that stopped it.

FireEMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I did that prior to installing as this is the second bulkhead I've tried.

The leak seems to be like two or three drops per day...maybe if I just let it be it'll fix itself?

Just a shot but you could try to wipe down the gaskets to make sure there isn't manufacturing oils on them. I hope that it either fixes itself or you find a solution soon, that has to be frustrating.

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home around 930 last night from work / work outing and checked the bulkhead and it was dry...So that would have been about 15-16 hours from the last time I checked it...

Checked the bulkhead this morning before work and there was a drop of water in the threads...

I don't get it!! It's like the leaky bulkhead fairy comes at night just to mess with me!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hole isn't too big is it?

I'd assume not since there are 2 other same sized holes with bulkheads in them that aren't leaking. Might drain the overflow box again this weekend and just make sure there's not any silicone residues or anything preventing a good seal.

Otherwise I might just see if it ends up sealing itself since the leak is so slow...literally a drop or two per day.

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third time is a charm???? Still leaking so I took a closer look and there was a small hairline crack in the threads...not sure how I got that. I only tightened by hand...bad bulkhead #2??? Bad picture below but you can see the stress line on the bulkhead...It wasn't even on the seam either...weird.

466d8b74e487fee6024ee48b11c7575e.jpg

Drained the overflow box again. Switched in yet another brand new bulkhead. Hopefully this will be the end of the leaky bulkhead saga...

Last edited:
OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After switching to a new bulkhead for my emergency drain last night it looks like I finally got that one to stop leaking...today I get home from running errands and the bulkhead for the primary drain was leaking water...and at a pretty good rate too. Either I got the worst batch of bulkheads EVER or my hand strength is ridiculous and my version of "hand tight" is too much for these things...

Either way I'm just really frustrated right now. I've been battling leaky bulkheads for over a week now...

Last edited:

FireEMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tempted to cut my losses and pull the plug on this project. After switching to a new bulkhead for my emergency drain last night it looks like I finally got that one to stop leaking...today I get home from running errands and the bulkhead for the primary drain was leaking water...and at a pretty good rate too. Either I got the worst batch of bulkheads EVER or my hand strength is ridiculous and my version of "hand tight" is too much for these things...

Either way I'm just really frustrated right now. I've been battling leaky bulkheads for over a week now...and it's really making me just reconsider this because I don't want to have a flooded house.

Sorry again, I haven't needed this for bulkheads but maybe you could try this. http://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSeal-T-Plus-2-4-oz-Teflon-Pipe-Thread-Sealant-23631/100201204

I've used it for other threaded connections and it works great.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%

Back