Ciano from nowhere!

  • Thread starter Thread starter sg1.025
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

sg1.025

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2024
Messages
106
Reaction score
18
Location
Queen Creek
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just last week, I added 20 pounds of live sand into my 8 month old tank (65 Gallons). The reason i added it was that my cleanup crew wasn't able to move around and so the reason. After about a week, I now have a ciano bloom. I was told that this would happen, but didn't expect it to be this bad. Other than water changes, is there anything else that I can do?

Water Params:
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 77.9
PH: 8.11
Ammonia: 0.1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0
KH/Alk: 6.6
Silica: 0
Calcium: 427
Magnesium: 1200
 
As to the cyano

Suction it out

Turkey baster it out

Put an algae reactor on it, of some sort

Water changes

Add some drops of bottled bacteria

It's normal, it came from whatever you have added to the tank, probably the 'live' sand

Some people put a UV sterilizer on their systems
 
Solo... thanks for in response. I did add live sand... I was told that this would happen, but I just wanted to validate from others in this forum. My tank is a Red Sea Max 250, the older one with integrated hood/lights, but i removed them. Just a few hours back I did a 10 gallon water change. I will try to do a 10 gallon water change the next 2 to 3 days.
 
I use Hanna test kits.

My last numbers from 7/13/2024 are shown below:
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78.2
PH: 7.98
Ammonia: 0.04
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 9.1
Phosphate: 0.16
KH/Alk: 8.0
Silica: 0
Calcium: 455
Magnesium: 1300

As mentioned, the only change was adding the live sand.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new