Cinder block stand for 40 breeder?

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a different stand for my 40 breeder (36x18"/91.5x41.75 cm, I believe? base). It's been on a stand for a 30+some cinder blocks with padding in the back since they're not quite tall enough to match the height of the existing stand. Since the blocks are not as wide as the tank could I make an L shape like this (top down) then put wood boards and a foam pad over them to make sure it was supported? I've seen other people do similar, and I've done it with bookshelves, but of course a tank is a bit weightier than a stack of books. If it's doable (and I don't see why NOT, since they build houses out of the things. . .) would I want the holes to be on the sides or the top? And should I put the tank on the edge of the blocks, or the middle of them?

Thank you!

stand.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you want the holes of the cinder blocks facing up/down, this is how they bear weight. having the holes front/back would reduce their load bearing capacity. You can definitely place the tank on top of a sturdy wood board (NOT cheap thin plywood) that has the capacity for not bowing under the weight. I like the foam pad idea as well, I did the same with my most recent build.

OP
OP
D

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thank you. Is it best to assume something like a 2x10 would work best? Two of those the length of the tank should leave me with a bit of extra room in width, yes?

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 40g tank, you can lay down the blocks either way.
I've built several "Stands" for different size tanks with cinder blocks and 2x6, 2x8. And just about every time I had the blocks standing up.
Currently I have a 90g tank on blocks in the basement...
20230627_205550.jpg

This is one of the "rack" I build when I was breeding goldfish several yrs ago...
20210403_132308.jpg

Please note that the top right side tank is a 110g lol

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago in NJ, a high end LFS places all of their tanks (mostly 30 gals.) on stained 4x4s placed in the holes in cinder blocks. To dress up the block, they applied stucco to the block and painted them white.

OP
OP
D

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, I somehow missed the notifications for these two posts. Thank you both. I'll try to get a dozen blocks, plus some wood for it if it'll be fine. That way all four corners will be supported, and I'll have something running along the bottom. Will any sealant work to keep the wood from rotting, or will they eventually flake/crack/whatever even if the tank isn't moved? And would I need to coat the blocks as well, or will the cement last without needing it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back