Cinder Block tank stand width?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I plan on setting up the cheap cinder block DIY tank stand for my future 70~117L (20~30G) tank (which I don't have yet). The typical wooden board or planks on top of the stacked cinder blocks on each ends. Would it be alright if the width of the tank is a little (6cm or 2.4in) wider than the cinder block? The wooden part where the tank will be sitting on will be as big or bigger than the tank's width.

The width of the tank I'm looking at is 45cm (about 17.7 inches) but the only cinder blocks I can get locally are 39cm (15.4 in) in width (39x19x10) so the tank width is 6cm (2.4in) wider than the block. I've read the block needs to support the 4 corners of the tank but thought it might be alright with the width difference being smallish. I could place 2 rows of cinder blocks on each end to support all corners but I'd prefer to minimize the number of blocks if possible. Depending on the answer to the question, I might consider getting a different tank.

Also, how thick do you think the wooden board/planks should be? or does it even matter? I'm thinking of using a number of planks but are there any pros and cons in using planks vs a board?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I plan on setting up the cheap cinder block DIY tank stand for my future 70~117L (20~30G) tank (which I don't have yet). The typical wooden board or planks on top of the stacked cinder blocks on each ends. Would it be alright if the width of the tank is a little (6cm or 2.4in) wider than the cinder block? The wooden part where the tank will be sitting on will be as big or bigger than the tank's width.

The width of the tank I'm looking at is 45cm (about 17.7 inches) but the only cinder blocks I can get locally are 39cm (15.4 in) in width (39x19x10) so the tank width is 6cm (2.4in) wider than the block. I've read the block needs to support the 4 corners of the tank but thought it might be alright with the width difference being smallish. I could place 2 rows of cinder blocks on each end to support all corners but I'd prefer to minimize the number of blocks if possible. Depending on the answer to the question, I might consider getting a different tank.

Also, how thick do you think the wooden board/planks should be? or does it even matter? I'm thinking of using a number of planks but are there any pros and cons in using planks vs a board?
I wouldn’t have any tank overlap with the stand. It will eventually stress the corners of the tank. Could you place the cinder blocks with some space between them to match the size of the tank?

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t have any tank overlap with the stand. It will eventually stress the corners of the tank. Could you place the cinder blocks with some space bet
I could, just by using more blocks. Just wanted to know if I could do this with less blocks. Or I could go for a smaller tank

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could, just by using more blocks. Just wanted to know if I could do this with less blocks. Or I could go for a smaller tank
Spaces in between the cinder blocks won’t affect the stability of the stand at all, so you could still make it work with what you have since you’ll have a solid top.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spaces in between the cinder blocks won’t affect the stability of the stand at all, so you could still make it work with what you have since you’ll have a solid top.
Ah sorry I misunderstood you there for a second. I see what you mean now. I'd imagine that would require quite a sturdy top.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top would overhang the cinder block by an inch and a half on either side. I piece of 3/4 in plywood would hold that up with no problem. And I would choose one 16" wide cinder block over 2 8" wide cinder blocks with a space between.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will look crazy but the overhang probably won't matter with those dimensions. It's not enough to cause catastrophic failure

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A standard framed glass tank of that size really only needs to be supported at the bottom corners, as long as it is level. So as long as you have the blocks under each corner, it doesn't matter if there are gaps along the edges in between, even along the long edges. You don't even really need the wood on the top, although it does help to make sure things are level.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%

Back