Cinnamon Paly Help

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was gifted a single Cinnamon Paly that's about an inch in diameter and over the past week or so I've tried moving it from almost no light to high light and can not get it to open except for a few minutes here and there. Any tips?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mod lighting and flow should be fine. The corals could still be be acclimating, I would place the palys on the sand bed next to the rock base with some direct lighting. What lighting are you using, what is the distance from the fixture to the sand bed (just approximate). Be aware that this particular palys can become quite invasive and extremely difficult to remove once established. You may want to make sure the pieces is kept isolated to one rock structure. Honestly this is not a coral I would purposely introduce but to each their own.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mod lighting and flow should be fine. The corals could still be be acclimating, I would place the palys on the sand bed next to the rock base with some direct lighting. What lighting are you using, what is the distance from the fixture to the sand bed (just approximate). Be aware that this particular palys can become quite invasive and extremely difficult to remove once established. You may want to make sure the pieces is kept isolated to one rock structure. Honestly this is not a coral I would purposely introduce but to each their own.
Im using an AI Prime HD around 60% maybe 5-6 inches above the water line, which is at least 15 inches from the sand bed. How evasive are they? I've only ever seen them in one or two polyps and every forum I find says that they are slow growers?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it's the true "cinnamon palythoa" which is Palythoa grandis, they do usually prefer more subdued lighting, and can handle quite a bit of flow. If they were just added to brighter light I'd expect them to be closed for some time. Try moving them to a lower light area see if that helps. Also, they are indeed slow growers. Tahoe may have this species confused with another of the protopalythoa that can be very fast growers. Would you mind posting a pic so I can tell for sure?

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it's the true "cinnamon palythoa" which is Palythoa grandis, they do usually prefer more subdued lighting, and can handle quite a bit of flow. If they were just added to brighter light I'd expect them to be closed for some time. Try moving them to a lower light area see if that helps. Also, they are indeed slow growers. Tahoe may have this species confused with another of the protopalythoa that can be very fast growers. Would you mind posting a pic so I can tell for sure?

Sure thing, I am working on my reef photo taking skills slowly haha. And I have moved them from high light to moderate to low and at times, in all positions, its opened here and there. I've looked around and my parameters have seemed fine, so now what I am doing is moving him around and changing the intensity of my light. So I have moved him up higher with a decrease of about 10%-15% of light.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The paly's are pretty much bullet proof and very hardy. They are very slow growers as others have stated. They are not evasive and will only grow where they are placed. No worries of it taking over your aquarium. If they are not opening for long periods of time, I would think that there is a water quality issue and or some type of acclimation thing. If something is pecking on them they will close up is the only other thing I can think of outside of water quality that would close them up.

Here is mine. This is at least 8 years plus of growth from 2 tiny polpys. They get big but you can prune them. my blenny loves them.
dsc_2844-1_1_zpsnw5z12kc.jpg

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those palys are a morph of grandis palys. I find they dont like high light. Mine colored up when I put them lower.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those palys are a morph of grandis palys. I find they dont like high light. Mine colored up when I put them lower.

They're still Palythoa grandis though, color morph doesn't make them a different species.
Some pics of morphs I have, all are the same species.
20160611_155820.jpg

20160501_213745.jpg

20170418_184526.jpg

Last edited:

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're still Palythoa grandis though, color morph doesn't make them a different species.
Some pics of morphs I have, all are the same species.
20160611_155820.jpg

20160501_213745.jpg

20170418_184526.jpg

That top one looks nice. Where did you get it? I like how they incorporate sand into their mat too

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly makes propagating them easy when they do, and that they can just be set on the sand bed to grow is nice too. I got that type from a friend a while back, believe it came from a collector in Florida. It was supposed to be a regular Brown type but ended up having that little bit of blue/mint color in it. Thank you, I like its pattern. Sorry for the mild hijack @HeulittSalmi, how's yours doing?

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly makes propagating them easy when they do, and that they can just be set on the sand bed to grow is nice too. I got that type from a friend a while back, believe it came from a collector in Florida. It was supposed to be a regular Brown type but ended up having that little bit of blue/mint color in it. Thank you, I like its pattern. Sorry for the mild hijack @HeulittSalmi, how's yours doing?

So I have moved it to the bottom of may tank which isnt shaded, but has the light somewhat blocked by a frag holder and it has been about 50-75% open around 90% of the time which is great. I did a water change and it closed up for the rest of the evening but by morning it was open again. Unfortunately, my diamond goby, Neil, would leave a little dust here and there on it, but as of this morning Neil decided to take a profession in carpet surfing and is no longer with us, so hopefully the silver lining will be that my paly would be more open.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have moved it to the bottom of may tank which isnt shaded, but has the light somewhat blocked by a frag holder and it has been about 50-75% open around 90% of the time which is great. I did a water change and it closed up for the rest of the evening but by morning it was open again. Unfortunately, my diamond goby, Neil, would leave a little dust here and there on it, but as of this morning Neil decided to take a profession in carpet surfing and is no longer with us, so hopefully the silver lining will be that my paly would be more open.

Hope it does better. Sorry about your fish :(. Be careful when handling palys, wear gloves and even eye protection. Always wash your hands afterwards too.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your fish. The palys are ok with a fish hanging out in it. My Blenny lays in them. They don't even close up. They are used to him now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back