Cipro availability

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone bought cipro in the last couple weeks without a script? I'm running into issues trying to locate it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not sure why use of cipro continues but not my tank

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
are you against its use? why so?

edit: OP, i bought my cipro through chewy, i believe. this is about a year or so ago. however, the link provided above works as well

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

edit: OP, i bought my cipro through chewy, i believe. this is about a year or so ago. however, the link provided above works as well
I'm not who you were replying to, but I am a biology student with major reservations about antibiotic overuse. Ciprofloxacin is especially bad IMO because it plays such an important role in a human clinical setting. If there are ANY other options -- which I believe there almost always are -- we should do all we can to discourage resistance. I personally dislike antibiotic use in aquaria in general but I understand it is sometimes necessary. But some are more important to human medicine than others and Cipro is an example of one that's life or death.

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not your tank but could someday be your health if it goes on long enough. Or mine, or theirs. People really need to be more conservative with this stuff. People may not like to hear it, but no fish, coral, or nem is worth the far-reaching consequences of antibiotic resistance for human medicine

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not your tank but could someday be your health if it goes on long enough. Or mine, or theirs. People really need to be more conservative with this stuff. People may not like to hear it, but no fish, coral, or nem is worth the far-reaching consequences of antibiotic resistance for human medicine
Agree

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Being in the medical field and knowing what its used for, its often and alternative and not a solution and many are quick to throw in medications without addressing the cause

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not who you were replying to, but I am a biology student with major reservations about antibiotic overuse. Ciprofloxacin is especially bad IMO because it plays such an important role in a human clinical setting. If there are ANY other options -- which I believe there almost always are -- we should do all we can to discourage resistance. I personally dislike antibiotic use in aquaria in general but I understand it is sometimes necessary. But some are more important to human medicine than others and Cipro is an example of one that's life or death.
Just had to add. Talked to my Pharmacist in the hospital the other day to try and get some of these drugs for my tank. FYI Cipro and Amoxicillin are no longer used for patients...there are much better drugs out there and these are no longer kept in the pharmacy. And my view it these are animals. would you not treat your dying dog or cat from a bacterial infection, why not your fish and coral.

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had to add. Talked to my Pharmacist in the hospital the other day to try and get some of these drugs for my tank. FYI Cipro and Amoxicillin are no longer used for patients...there are much better drugs out there and these are no longer kept in the pharmacy. And my view it these are animals. would you not treat your dying dog or cat from a bacterial infection, why not your fish and coral.
Sorry but that is 100% not true. Maybe not at that hospital --- more likely he was just trying to prevent you from getting the drugs without pushback. In fact many older physicians have a bad habit of prescribing Cipro for simple UTIs; just a week ago someone I know recieved a script which they didn't end up filling.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cipro is still very much a go to broad spectrum anabiotic.

To your actual comment about your dog or cat, you would treat them… with medical intervention and a prescription.

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, in regards to Cipro, the entire point of its overuse being problematic is that it's one of the most powerful medical weapons against refractory or otherwise severe infections. If there truly are "much better drugs" then that is frankly a very bad sign. But I don't believe this and it's very contextual. There are much better drugs for UTIs, not always so much for something like resistant bacteremia

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To your actual comment about your dog or cat, you would treat them… with medical intervention and a prescription.
Which would almost NEVER utilize Cipro outside of extreme circumstances, for which it should be reserved. Certainly with more diagnostic confidence than simply "a gram-negative infection".

If it's not worth the trip to an aquatic veterinarian, is it worth the health risk to yourself, your family, your community?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which would almost NEVER utilize Cipro outside of extreme circumstances, for which it should be reserved. Certainly with more diagnostic confidence than simply "a gram-negative infection".

If it's not worth the trip to an aquatic veterinarian, is it worth the health risk to yourself, your family, your community?

It’s used a lot in battlefield medicine. Being stable and effective on almost everything is the appeal. Spent 15 years of my career in CBRNE. Think Detrick, Bethesda, Eglin. In that time scariest thing I saw by far was the rate we are culturing superbugs by doing stupid shlt like dosing 300g with cipro then flushing it into sewer systems.

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s used a lot in battlefield medicine. Being stable and effective on almost everything is the appeal. Spent 15 years of my career in CBRNE. Think Detrick, Bethesda, Eglin. In that time scariest thing I saw by far was the rate we are culturing superbugs by doing stupid shlt like dosing 300g with cipro then flushing it into sewer systems.
Yup --- not necessarily the antibiotic use itself (though that's still not without risk), but largely the fact that responsible release just isn't going to happen under hobbyist use. People don't even take or dispose of their own prescription antibiotics as directed. It's a big problem in agriculture too, arguably the biggest. But at the end of the day, it's a roll of the dice and even if you don't produce nearly as much in quantity, you could still be the unlucky manufacturer of a superbug. All it takes is the right mutation evolving in your tank, and nothing is more conducive to that than antibiotic misuse. Even if the drug itself is inert, those bacteria will continue to multiply.

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro is still very much a go to broad spectrum anabiotic.

Bactrim/macrobid is the go to here in Boston for UTI

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bactrim is the go to here in Boston!
Ciprofloxacin is a quinolone antibiotic; Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim) is a bacteriostatic** folic acid synthesis inhibitor. They belong to different drug classes and serve different purposes. Bacteriostatic drugs prevent multiplication but do not kill bacteria by themselves like other antibiotics do.

This isn't a matter of region; it's a matter of indication and an example of why powerful drugs should not be used without knowing what they're being used for.

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you want to look at some evidence based practice about that....

OP
OP
M

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chewy now says unavailable and allivet requires a script now.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back