Cipro availability

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you want to look at some evidence based practice about that....
LOL --- to directly quote this article:

"[...] For this reason, fluoroquinolones are not preferred for uncomplicated UTIs but may be used when other agents are not acceptable."

Cipro is a fluoroquinolone. Instances "when other agents are not acceptable" largely refer to cases of resistance...

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Ciprofloxacin 250mg- 100 tablets

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL --- to directly quote this article:

"[...] For this reason, fluoroquinolones are not preferred for uncomplicated UTIs but may be used when other agents are not acceptable."

Cipro is a fluoroquinolone. Instances "when other agents are not acceptable" largely refer to cases of resistance...
it also says to identify the bacterium before treating to not cause resistance.

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it also says to identify the bacterium before treating to not cause resistance.
Correct. In the vast majority of cases that's true, and is why hobbyists shouldn't use this stuff blindly. The exception would be cases in which the causative agent can't be cultured faster than the infection can progress. Which is something only a medical professional can determine. A responsible practitioner won't do this unless the patient is knocking on death's door

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Ciprofloxacin is an alternative to vancomycin for treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus." Source

As it happens, S. aureus is an abundant member of the human microbiome. You don't want to create resistant strains of that. However, S. aureus develops resistance particularly quickly to Ciprofloxacin: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3968619/

"Among the fluoroquinolones, maximum resistance in MRSA was seen to ciprofloxacin (92.5%)"

The only difference between MRSA and typical S. aureus is its resistance to methicillin. The organism is the same. You don't want to weaken ANY potential treatments against staph, methicillin-resistant or otherwise

From the first link: "...ciprofloxacin-resistant methicillin- resistant S. aureus (CR-MRSA) strains is increasing, and the studies showed that more than 89 percent of MRSA strains are resistant to ciprofloxacin ... The use of common antibiotics may lead to the failure of conventional antibiotic therapy against CR-MRSA infections".

Resistance is also noted to develop rapidly following exposure, leaving very little margin for error.

Last edited:

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in all this fun i forgot to mention i use amoxicillin as my first go to before the cipro. Any issue with that. Lets get on that topic. And yes i have had a tank knocking on deaths door. Aquatic vetinarian where?

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in all this fun i forgot to mention i use amoxicillin as my first go to before the cipro. Any issue with that. Lets get on that topic. And yes i have had a tank knocking on deaths door. Aquatic vetinarian where?
I hate to say it, but a tank "knocking at death's door" is not even remotely equivalent to a human with a septic infection or one that could quickly become septic e.g. pyelonephritis. The latter is frequently caused by E. coli, which has seen a dramatic rise in cipro resistance.

I assure you intractable septic shock is much harder to cope with than avoidance of cipro...

Amoxicillin is also of major clinical importance, but is quickly losing its foothold due to -- you guessed it -- misuse.

There's a reason why antibiotic resistance is considered a global crisis

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you want to look at some evidence based practice about that....
Bactrim/macrobid is the go to here in Boston for UTI
I wonder if anyone has tried dipping BJD corals in a saltwater/cranberry juice extract mix to see if that will stop the infection?

Kind of a joke, but also not necessarily a bad idea if someone is trying to address BJD and doesn't want to use tried and true Cipro methods.

Others use garlic in the hobby, and claim success?

OP
OP
M

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if anyone has tried dipping BJD corals in a saltwater/cranberry juice extract mix to see if that will stop the infection?

Kind of a joke, but also not necessarily a bad idea if someone is trying to address BJD and doesn't want to use tried and true Cipro methods.

Cranberry is thought to work for bladder infections because something in it blocks the ability of the bladder bacteria from binding to receptors for it in the bladder wall. It doesn't kill the bacteria, just lets the pee wash it out.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of whatever the argument continues to be on if it should be used…this is likely the reason you’re having trouble. The FDA sent manufacturers and sellers essentially a cease and desist letter back in December.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i would like to comment that there is much debate here as expected at times on any given forum,,,,, but the fact that it has been kept respectful and it means a lot - It does!

Last edited:

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lol nice one. but sorry to say there is no evidence based practice that actually says cranberry juice does anything for uti.

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like to comment that there is much debate here as expected at times on any given forum,,,,, but the fact that it has been kept respectful and it means a lot - It does!
With this being said light and uv does degrade cipro so it will break down. I also do not do a wc after treatment so nothing going dow the drain and I assume 3 months later that the uv broke down the antibiotic.

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of whatever the argument continues to be on if it should be used…this is likely the reason you’re having trouble. The FDA sent manufacturers and sellers essentially a cease and desist letter back in December.

Do you know what a cease and desist means? Absolutely nothing. Just a warning that they might take you to court. They also sent that letter to soap manufactures. lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Who and why was Cipro started in the first place? Just trying to understand this.
You get a person with a notion to try an antibiotic, medication and substance with the feeling " what's good for the goose, is good for the gander" and by coincidence it works and then there's a news release from the individual.
Peroxide is a good oxidizer and anti-bacterial which you rarely see at a doctor's office, yet widely used as examples.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You get a person with a notion to try an antibiotic, medication and substance with the feeling " what's good for the goose, is good for the gander" and by coincidence it works and then there's a news release from the individual.
Peroxide is a good oxidizer and anti-bacterial which you rarely see at a doctor's office, yet widely used as examples.
Thank you. What a great point too!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back