Cipro dip for incoming anemones

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any recommendations (please Include dosage) for dipping incoming anemones in cipro upon arrival prior to placing them in the display. I am well aware of the treatment protocol, but I was considering a prophylactic dip/bath.

I have 2 H. mags and one H. crispa coming in. Both have been in captivity doing well for over a month at the online retailer.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any recommendations (please Include dosage) for dipping incoming anemones in cipro upon arrival prior to placing them in the display. I am well aware of the treatment protocol, but I was considering a prophylactic dip/bath.

I have 2 H. mags and one H. crispa coming in. Both have been in captivity doing well for over a month at the online retailer.
As with humans, antibiotics should not be used unless the full course is going to be run for treatment. A dip really does nothing for them, as they do not actually take in the medicated water in that short of a time.

When I get new nems, I "flush them" while acclimating them. basically, I take a larger shallow tote, put the nems in it with the water they were shipped and then replace that water every 15 minutes with 50% new SW after they are quickly acclimated to my new SW. Doing this, I have had less issues with nems, but some will still need treatment in the end.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No one will give you the answer you’re looking for when it comes to cipro, i can’t find many people on here that support the use of it . I do know that it certainly helps with bacterial infections within anemones. I don’t know if it’s different for anemones but a coral cipro dip is generally done in this way:

Dip Initial Mixture : Mix 500mg Cipro in 50ml of RODI water (store in dark container in the refrigerator)

Cipro/Amoxi Dip : Add 10 ml of solution above to 500ml tank water. Dip corals 2-4 hours . Add air stone or sponge filter to maintain oxygen and movement. Move water with turkey baster occasionally.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree with Steve. Dipping in an antibiotic isn't the way its supposed to be used. Won't help treat anything with a one and done.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can’t find many people on here that support the use of it .
Interesting. I don't know of many people with a valid argument why Not to support it, outside of antibiotics being limited in supply and to save them for humans.
Dip Initial Mixture : Mix 500mg Cipro in 50ml of RODI water (store in dark container in the refrigerator)

Cipro/Amoxi Dip : Add 10 ml of solution above to 500ml tank water. Dip corals 2-4 hours . Add air stone or sponge filter to maintain oxygen and movement. Move water with turkey baster occasionally.
As Steve mentioned above, one exposure to the meds does nothing beneficial here. As with humans, if you're not going to move through the full treatment, best not to start it. Doing this could give the animal a future resistance to the meds as well.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Only Cipro treat if the anemone shows signs of infection: inflate/deflate cycle, gaping mouth for more than a few days, flat or flaccid appearance for more than a few days, inability to attach to surfaces. The full 7 day process should be followed.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed fully here. If you’re going to engage in antibiotic treatment, you need to run the full course of treatment, running less than the full course only strengthens antibiotic resistance/tolerance within the bacteria and risks making the issue massively harder to treat (it’s part of how superbugs have been created).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back