Cirolanid isopod? Help!

Donna421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help! I believe, based on what research I have done, that this is a Cirolanid isopod. What can I do?

Screenshot_20210505-083531_Photos.jpg

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you would want to repost this under fish disease. This is rare and you want jay Hemdal opinion. You could also DM him. If you put his name in the search (upper right/member) open any of his post and click his avatar to open a discussion . You will want to catch the fish and manually remove with tweezers. This will be difficult to cure. In principle you can put some fish in your QT and leave a "sacrificial" fish in there that is easy to catch and for manual removal until complete removal. Also check in the early morning hours. Full disclosure, I have never had to deal with this.

OP
OP
Donna421

Donna421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you would want to repost this under fish disease. This is rare and you want jay Hemdal opinion. You could also DM him. If you put his name in the search (upper right/member) open any of his post and click his avatar to open a discussion . You will want to catch the fish and manually remove with tweezers. This will be difficult to cure. In principle you can put some fish in your QT and leave a "sacrificial" fish in there that is easy to catch and for manual removal until complete removal. Also check in the early morning hours. Full disclosure, I have never had to deal with this.
Thank you! I did repost in "Hitchhiker & Critter ID" and Jay kindly and promptly responded. Apologies, I couldn't figure out how to delete this post.

This particular critter is eradicated. Fat chance, but hoping it was the only one.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I did repost in "Hitchhiker & Critter ID" and Jay kindly and promptly responded. Apologies, I couldn't figure out how to delete this post.

This particular critter is eradicated. Fat chance, but hoping it was the only one.
I had this once, and it was only 1. Got the fish out of water, sucker popped off, never saw another.

OP
OP
Donna421

Donna421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do!

Certainly isn't much information out there, so seems to be very rare.

One thing my better half (and master of the aquarium, truly, I just enjoy the fruits of his labor) read today is that these typically only breed once a year, at least in the wild. And that time is not typically now. So fingers crossed!

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% cirolanid Isopod... just pray that you dont have tiny ones that are harder to see, catch and remove!

): good luck! I had a clownfish get swarmed by more than 10 tiny ones once.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten cirolanid isopods on florida live rock a few times. Do you use filter socks? If so, check those daily. You can monitor your situation by seeing how many end up in your socks overnight. If you see quite a few then you can set up a trap to start catching them.

On a side note, cirolanid isopods seem to be attracted to the color yellow. Your tang's yellow tail attracted one and I've found them attached to my yellow tangs and yellow coris wrasses, but not my other fish. Weird.

OP
OP
Donna421

Donna421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten cirolanid isopods on florida live rock a few times. Do you use filter socks? If so, check those daily. You can monitor your situation by seeing how many end up in your socks overnight. If you see quite a few then you can set up a trap to start catching them.

On a side note, cirolanid isopods seem to be attracted to the color yellow. Your tang's yellow tail attracted one and I've found them attached to my yellow tangs and yellow coris wrasses, but not my other fish. Weird.
We do not use filter socks. Our current tank is tempered glass so use HOB emperor pro 450 filters. We have only seen the one and keeping our fingers crossed its the only one. We are cycling a second tank now as a back up plan to move the fish to and will use the nuclear option on our main tank should it become a problem. Not using live rock only dry in the cycling tank.

OP
OP
Donna421

Donna421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep the forum updated. You just don’t see this on a regular basis. I am sure somewhere in the future someone will want to know. Thanks.
FYI - Have not seen any more Cirolanid Isopods or any other parasites. We are guessing that this one hitchhiked its way here inside of a live rock.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back