Citric Acid And Other Uses Around The House?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched over to citric acid for cleaning my pumps due to the swelling issue and plastic penetration of Vinegar.
I was just wondering if anyone has used it on Faucet heads or any other items that may have exposed metal parts?
I have some Moen Brushed Nickel Bathroom faucets that I use the "plastic bag of Vinegar" held up to the head with a rubber band to clean off limescale deposits method. This works better on some of them than trying to remove the aerator because sometimes the aerators will crack and break when you pull them out. I want to try Citric Acid but I am wondering if it will stain the Nickle finish near the aerator.

All suggestions on items that you have used citric acid on are welcome as this is my new go to product for limescale removal.
Thanks..

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use citric acid to clean my dishwasher with a stainless steal inside and it does a fantastic job of removing the hard water and soap residues.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not even sure how much dilution I should be using on my citric acid.
I would also love to know the Citric/Baking soda ratios?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coffee maker....

I use the same dilution as I do for fish stuff....approximately one cup per gallon. The one issue that crops up with citric acid solution if you let it sit around is that the bugs (bacteria) like it too. So also pick up some sodium benzoate, found at grocery stores, Walmart, Amazon, etc, and add 0.1%. That will keep the bugs from growing. For those making up a gallon of solution, take out you kitchen scales and weigh out 3.8 grams of sodium benzoate and add to that gallon.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use citric acid to clean my dishwasher with a stainless steal inside and it does a fantastic job of removing the hard water and soap residues.

Weird thing but if you have stainless appliances after cleaning take a rag with wd40 and wipe all the stainless it restores the oils and makes everything look brand new.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back