Is citric acid the new vinegar?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar has always been my go-to for cleaning everything from frag racks, to skimmers, to return pumps, to wave makers.... pretty much anything that needed cleaning. But lately I keep seeing discussions about citric acid.

So what's the deal??? What is it, why is it and where is you getting it? :thinking-face: :slightly-smiling-face:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were reports about vinegar damaging some plastic. I have been purchasing from Amazon

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar is harmful for impeller magnets and it can cause damage to them and reduce their service life. Something about the chemical properties is different with pool acid and citric acid that cleans off the scales safely.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less stinky and easier to store imo. Its dry and overall great to work with. I got a bag from Amazon and it's lasted me a good year before I bought another.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this ok? It's one of the cheaper ones...

Yup I've bought a few. Works fine. I alternate between this and what you posted up.

Screenshot_20231016-093228.png

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 50?lb bag locally from a brewery supplier. Food grade and massively cheaper than Amazon or vinegar from Costco. Stored in a bucket with a gamma lid it’s lasted me 3 years and only used half so far.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 50?lb bag locally from a brewery supplier. Food grade and massively cheaper than Amazon or vinegar from Costco. Stored in a bucket with a gamma lid it’s lasted me 3 years and only used half so far.
OH reallly..... i have one of those close by.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic, citric and a few other acids were in before vinegar became a thing. Been around since I started in 1990s. Vinegar is like throwing a baseball at a freight train compared to most acids.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic, citric and a few other acids were in before vinegar became a thing. Been around since I started in 1990s. Vinegar is like throwing a baseball at a freight train compared to most acids.
I definitely recall people using muriatic acid, but man what a pain. That stuff is harsh/dangerous. I don't like using it in the pool either... have to hold my breath just to pour it.
Vinegar was so much easier/safer in comparison.
Sounds like the powdered citric acid isn't too bad?
What's the standard mixing instructions for our purposes (cleaning pumps and stuff)?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is all the same if you dilute it right. I use muriatic since I have it on hand anyway and it really can cut through some stuff in no time, like coralline. I use muriatic to lower alk in my salt mix, so no big deal. I just handle it like kalkwasser... protect your eyes and don't breathe it. It is also 2 gallon for like $9 at the big box hardware stores.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely recall people using muriatic acid, but man what a pain. That stuff is harsh/dangerous. I don't like using it in the pool either... have to hold my breath just to pour it.
Vinegar was so much easier/safer in comparison.
Sounds like the powdered citric acid isn't too bad?
What's the standard mixing instructions for our purposes (cleaning pumps and stuff)?

3/4 cup per gallon of water is my mixing ratio

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back