Citron clown goby, peculiarity?

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up a Citron clown goby from my lfs. It looked sort of neat, but not a lot of color right now.
Anyway, this evening, after turning him loose in my 32 Fiji-Cube, after a while, there he was sitting (attached) to my front glass? Strange!! Of course he moved away when I tried to get a close look, but I swear it appears he has what looks like a small suction cup underneath between his pectoral find. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?
Curious as heck.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up a Citron clown goby from my lfs. It looked sort of neat, but not a lot of color right now.
Anyway, this evening, after turning him loose in my 32 Fiji-Cube, after a while, there he was sitting (attached) to my front glass? Strange!! Of course he moved away when I tried to get a close look, but I swear it appears he has what looks like a small suction cup underneath between his pectoral find. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?
Curious as heck.
Like this?
image.jpg

This is my Gobiodon astrangulatus, all gobiodon species have these fins that keep them attacked to rock, coral and glass. I love these fish (Mines in with a yasha goby, linear blenny and pin streak wrasse) and this is usual however very few fish genera or even families do this. I find clingfish to also do this behaviour!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these little guys. All kinds of small gobies.
I have 5 of these and a few clown and citron gobies. Very nice fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these little guys. All kinds of small gobies.
I have 5 of these and a few clown and citron gobies. Very nice fish.

They’re so grumpy looking and it’s so funny to watch it as it swims around with the frowning face!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while I find the yellows and citrons to be nice and bright (The yellows being adorable with those pinkish cheeks) I find the more uncommon colours to stand out more, so black and brown/red because while some can be secretive my black clown is just on the glass 24/7 I don’t know if it’s stress or what, if anyone can tell me why he almost never uses the rocks I’d love that! I’ve been debating on a Goni dominated tank because they’re so bright and most of the fish visible in that tank are black or a darker colour (The pink streak wrasse being the exception long term). Does anyone know if this would make him want to use the rock more often and not just hug the glass unless feeding?

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I have one as well! It's part of the reason he's my favorite fish. I love seeing him swim around and perch on one of my macro algaes that's swaying in the current. A lot of gobies have these modified pelvic fins that allow them perch and hold themselves on surfaces.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely normal - a characteristic of the entire goby clan.

Most (all?) true gobies have fused pelvic fins, and many of them use those fused fins as a sort of suction cup which enables them to easily hold position on any hard surface.

~B.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely normal - a characteristic of the entire goby clan.

Most (all?) true gobies have fused pelvic fins, and many of them use those fused fins as a sort of suction cup which enables them to easily hold position on any hard surface.

~B.
Stonogobiops don’t have these fins, they have cupped fins but can’t stick to the side. Only a few can actually stick to glass, the rest just use it to keep up and watch for predators I’m pretty sure.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back