Cl/Na ratio

Coralsea_co

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello chemists.Has anyone done research on the ratio of chloride to sodium? Is it important in marine tanks? I mentioned that many aquarists use different supplements that will change this ratio.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unlikely there are any studies since it doesn’t vary in the ocean. I expect it is not at all critical since salt mixes vary without apparent issue, but I think keeping it roughly correct is a worthy goal.

The main way it would vary is if sulfate is greatly elevated or depleted. Otherwise, it will be close enough. My diy recipes use sulfate and chloride at appropriate ratios for this reason.

OP
OP
Coralsea_co

Coralsea_co

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unlikely there are any studies since it doesn’t vary in the ocean. I expect it is not at all critical since salt mixes vary without apparent issue, but I think keeping it roughly correct is a worthy goal.

The main way it would vary is if sulfate is greatly elevated or depleted. Otherwise, it will be close enough. My diy recipes use sulfate and chloride at appropriate ratios for this reason.
Have a good trip and thank you very much!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back