Clam and Utter Chaos on same rock.

  • Thread starter Thread starter ChrisIC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ChrisIC

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2022
Messages
52
Reaction score
23
Location
Galway
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I love my Utter Chaos palys but they spread like wildfire and are now taking over my clams rock. At what point should I start pulling them away from the clam? Or, do clams have their own way of stopping corals from overcrowding them? The clam already has a sponge growing on one side, it does no harm and I find it interesting but I'm not so sure the palys would be so benign.
Thanks, Chris.

20240908_142942.jpg
 
Interesting predicament. I'm curious what the responses will be. Free bump for you!
 
Hey guys. I love my Utter Chaos palys but they spread like wildfire and are now taking over my clams rock. At what point should I start pulling them away from the clam? Or, do clams have their own way of stopping corals from overcrowding them? The clam already has a sponge growing on one side, it does no harm and I find it interesting but I'm not so sure the palys would be so benign.
Thanks, Chris.

20240908_142942.jpg
Zoa will climb up the shell and overtake the clam or at least irritate it. Clam looks great and my focus would be removing or fragging the zoas onto a plug and replant elsewhere in the tank
 
Thanks for the replies. The clam is sitting on a thick frag plug which is stuck to the top of the rock. I really like the way it looks so I'll keep the zoas off the plug (they've just reached the top of the rock) and they won't bother the clam. They're big so they're easy enough to peel off with tweezers or forceps.
Thanks guys.
 
I’ve have zoas grow all over the side of clams and never really had any issues. If the zoas get to the point where it might start shading the clam just kalk paste the ones at the very edge of the clam. Looks really cool though
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new