Clam dying

tangerine3486

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Messages
328
Reaction score
194
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R,
Received two maxima clams on Tuesday. One is doing fine, and the other is pretty much dead and getting worse. Both are under radions and in the same tank. I can get water chemistry posted, but I passed on that first since the other clam seems very content. Any thoughts?

He is split all the way down one side, and his siphon is not even recognizable. Barely responsive to changes in light.

Very sad.

SkvLlXwozS_aLthb13iMXq5pQEQ7Sevfw0xvEEm_SHInuS5FuauOt40nJxpd6dvKsdIGepqD8DRQO3PGfKvIrQMNZI8Hf5FQl2zDstRooz0XEI2r0T43WUahRDwtp1a6WrLFGZjx4suKthn8GY8J13Fm6L1u9TnaE1WlGwUhai-biULkEV4YrIsGh0e5mZEy-3ulmmOIGB5k_UEv6y3amhLdCbBv6H6BIokbZz0A0h5AhM7oiW9sUaqaw39sbysgTymbckHYkXFwxisZJvuMzhVDHRJLDF23x7DINe3uTmzz4Gp-dMQcrwlzCIWauH1FoghvyFvHQBFedG-pERxsBkSU3LUNUZGuHCYhv6OUi8Tr0n6oEGzFIWiEEvFi5EJbNapjK3ZtGBZFh_fkfQppqo03VTZr6M92jwtW13ArytVh-PWiN3OV9e2JS9vhNZevodxkxezW8oEmgJ7mpznDLm8bqRme9oycuJxghBdhQLZ4F4qrLADv2OBEpeOat0WQRloCiCIY6E_nFjUAMwad9UeyKdMiuNHHRajbofSlAgfujYiP1p9gy15mO3FhB7yFXxUVAl1pveWu4LDDzPTtPUnrNYXu8SmAT3-WSNXULw=w876-h1314-no
 
Hoping this post will get this populated in the "recent threads" on main page...
 
Sorry...doesn't look good I'm afraid.
 
Coloration still looks good. Maybe it just has a really tender tear in the flesh and its trying to focus on healing? I am just speculating without more images/ info.
 
Any possible way the foot was damaged or it was removed from a surface with the byssal threads attached? Trying to think how the tear came about.
 
Not that I can think of, although I am not sure how sensitive the threads are. The first time I moved him when he was looking unhappy there was no resistance, but I also did not look for the foot prior to moving him.
 
You would have felt it, it's a strong grip. Just keep a close eye and it and the other clams.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 45 33.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new