Clam hasn't opened in 2 days?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jordan10
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 10, 2019
Messages
1,112
Reaction score
1,105
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cameringo_20200206_132653.jpg


So the clam hasn't opened up in 2 days. Water is stable and has been. I have had this clam for little over a year. Should I worry or is it normal. Just don't want go doing water change or mess with anything if this is normal behavior? It usually open every day.
 
I usually see them retract like that if something may be nipping at it. Looks healthy otherwise still. Have you just sat down and observed for a bit?
 
I usually see them retract like that if something may be nipping at it. Looks healthy otherwise still. Have you just sat down and observed for a bit?
Yea I have and the only thing I have seen is my coris wrasse has picked at it she'll few times but I think that's not uncommon. Thanks
 
Yea pretty normal, it doesn't look like any damage to the mantle... Have you increased flow, sometimes this will make them not open fully?
 
Yea pretty normal, it doesn't look like any damage to the mantle... Have you increased flow, sometimes this will make them not open fully?
No it's in a pretty low flow area. Maybe it's just wants to be closed lol as my wife would say lol.
 
Not normal, needs to expand mantle to continue photosynthetic process.
Someone has bugged him. Check the bottom. Check the clam for aptasia.
Coris and clam.....Hum......I stay away from the wrasse family as I have 6 clams, only closed at night.
If you have any phytoplankton, squirt a cloud over him and see if he pumps it....
4AE01E7B-51E5-40D5-B771-3672EE759E98.jpeg
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new