Clam Newbie Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter k2reefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

k2reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2015
Messages
33
Reaction score
10
Location
Beaufort, SC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just acquired my very first clam from someone tearing down their tank. I am assuming this is a squamosa. It is approx 10” in length. Small football size. Why does the mantle and incurrent siphon on this clam not look like any I am seeing online. I will post a pic in his tank first then one in mine. I’ve read about PMD but dosent look to me that this is what it is. Thanks in advance

57682A11-F918-445E-B044-E190B69955CE.jpeg D3010B10-303A-449F-B7E4-3A201FC8B698.jpeg F7FCA955-79D2-484D-8274-B1A56A8C6CBC.jpeg 18BFD36E-0DD6-46CC-BE1F-02563CF16AA0.jpeg
 
I have a 8" squami going on 2 years. He looks like this some times, don't know why But he does look good. What are your water params? Just curious. And mine isn't very colorful. The last pic is him last year in my 46 bowfront, I upgraded to 75 shortly after.
 

Attachments

  • 2021-7-9 13-40-38[1566].jpg
    2021-7-9 13-40-38[1566].jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 2021-7-9 13-44-14[1562].jpg
    2021-7-9 13-44-14[1562].jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 2021-7-29 10-1-40[1559].jpg
    2021-7-29 10-1-40[1559].jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 61
  • REEF 2020.jpg
    REEF 2020.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 57
Another thing, don't spot feed him. I also hear that some powdered coral food upsets clams. I only dose phyto, zooplankton, amino acids.
 
The mantle just looks rounded around the shell and not a crisp edge on it like most pics or in yours. His tank had been neglected for a bit so maybe I just need to give it some time and see what happens
 
Yes does look a little puffy. Maybe just stress. they like strong light. I'm sure you know this, looks like you have been doing this (reefing) longer than I.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new