Clam not fully opening on 1/2

  • Thread starter Thread starter chuckfu5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chuckfu5

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 17, 2017
Messages
418
Reaction score
221
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a beautiful 3inch Tridanca Maxima clam from DD.

It acclimated well and seems to be doing fine besides one half of the mantle is only opening about 3/4s of the way on one side only. I’ve only had it since Friday so less then a week. Is this normal for a newly acclimated clam? Anything I should try doing with it? It did come with some aptasia on it but it doesn’t seem to be touching the mantle that I can see. I plan on throwing a peppermint shrimp in to take care of that issue.

Let me know your thoughts please.
 
A healthy clam would fully open up within few hours in your tank if you have right water parameters and light.
If it my clam I would take out the clam with your tank water and remove aptasia, clean it up also inspecting for other parasite/pest.
Check out few threads wrote by Skinz78 how to acclimate and check your clam for parasites, he got good information and tips there.
Edit:
DSC reef just faster typer than me :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new