Clam Refugium

  • Thread starter Thread starter kkiel02
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kkiel02

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
393
Reaction score
295
Location
San Antonio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a search on here and couldn't find anything. So here is my question: Is anyone running one to reduce nitrates? I am debating running one to keep my nitrates down and just using phosban or a similar product to keep phosphates down. Post up what ya got! Pics appreciated...
 
IMHO the amount of clams that it would take to make a difference would be huge. Clams don't directly reduce nitrates, they use ammonia which is a part of the nitrogen cycle. I have had 34 clams in a 120g tank and didn't even notice a difference in N&P reduction.
 
Oh ok I was wondering, if they were as good as I read, why not more people were using them. Scatch that idea then...
 
I have 6 clams and they make no difference at all. However they look cool. Try running a little phousgaurd.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new