Clam water chemistry?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking to see if anyone has any knowledge of clams being more sensitive of elements such as zinc and copper or tin etc?

I ask because I have had consistent bad luck with clams since shortly after I began. They always look great for me, for between a month to 3or 4 months, then gape and disappear in a day. All corals have always done well until about my 2yr mark, where I lost almost all my acro in a months time. The levels I had the above mentioned elements were relatively high (by triton test) and may or may not have contributed. I've since found the source of those issues and now that is corrected, id like to try clams again soon. But for that to make any sense, clams would have to be more sensitive than coral to copper and zinc.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is present in NSW, you'll have to post a value to identify whether your range is out of the norm.

Copper is also extremely toxic to most inverts.

What size of clams and types of clams have your tried in the past?

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that the clams may have starved to death in the 3-4 months if lighting and/or nutrients were insufficient; what type of clams, what lighting/placement, and what is the nutrient load of your system?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1-2 month time frame is generally from lack of enough light. What is the lighting and ever check PAR? Over that time did they ever put on new shell growth?

Clams seem more sensitive to everything though!

Zerc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, new shell growth is a big question! If they did not grow, then they were never "fine" but if they were growing that is really strange...

Drewmoore29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any peppermint shrimp? I hada clam that looked fine then a couple months after I added some peppermint shrimp to contol some aptashia And they ate away at its foot.

Rausch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have definitely run into this issue! had a large T. Maxima in my tank for about 7 months. Healthy, growing and was opening up great, within a matter of 2 days i lost the clam... All my levels where great and SPS and others corals looked great, had great PE so i was stumped... Realized i hadnt cleaned my Kessil 350w in a long time, cleaned the fan and the lens and the results where much better!! Havnt lost a clam since i started keeping up with my cleaning regimen, lighting seems to be a hugely overlooked issue and keeping those lights clean and the PAR high is a must!! at least that was a lesson i learned

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why some clams die

I will post a video of why some clams die. There is a pest snail that feeds on the clams . I never had this pest before but one day I was looking at my clam that is 17 years old had some . I made a video on how to get ride of them. Check it out . If you can't see it look for farm boy reef on you tube or on face book. Thanks hope it helps

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 100 reasons, 90 of which no one has yet figured out. Lots of books talk about "sudden" and unexplained clam death.

1) Predation - Snails/Starving Inverts (Lobsters or bad crabs mostly - most shrimp wont bother them)
2) Disease - Pinched Mantle or derivatives
3) Food source - Lack of light and/or lack of nutrients in the water. Even if a clam is blasted with light it still needs some nitrogen in the water and vise versa. They need both sources of food.
4) Acclimation - Clams naturally handle swings pretty well since they often live in areas that can be exposed to air during very low tides. They do not however do well with pH swings or alk swings.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is present in NSW, you'll have to post a value to identify whether your range is out of the norm.

Copper is also extremely toxic to most inverts.

What size of clams and types of clams have your tried in the past?

It's hard to say what the levels were. Triton showed 4.20 ug/l copper which I believe equates to .0042 ppm... Prior to sending that sample I had done 3 30g water changes and a 60g water change within a weeks time. This was on a 260g system. I later found my new water was yielding 2.10 ug/l of copper iirc due to bad ro/di filters. If you can work those numbers back your better than I am.

As far as types and sizes I've tried derasa squamosa maxima and Crocea all different sizes. My first was a 5 inch Crocea lasted about 6 months. Tried some squamosa and after they looked good for a couple months added a maxima from divers den and lost it right at the 2 week mark. Always over 2 inches on those. I had that happen 3 times from DD I think. Then tried a local maxima from reef club member it 2 about 3 inches. That late a few months thought maybe everything was good then tried an expensive ultra maxima that was 6 inches. Made it about 2 months. That one I even checked par at the LFS and it was under 160 par of LEDs. Watched it do well there for 2 months before I bought it. Made a spot in my tank for it under the same par, I have reef breeders LEDs. I could be out of order on some of those but I tried about a dozen or so clams within a years time all with the same fate. Meanwhile watching my brother keep 3 for over a year and he has same lights but garbage water. He can't even keep Monti or birds nest that whole time yet I have a little of everything under solid conditions and can't keep a clam happy.

It is possible that the clams may have starved to death in the 3-4 months if lighting and/or nutrients were insufficient; what type of clams, what lighting/placement, and what is the nutrient load of your system?

The first few I can't speak for, but after learning to check for new growth they all continued to show new growth. I did try some on the bottom, middle and even tried blasting one of the maxima with about 400 par. I did move that one up slowly too as I have a par meter and kept track. I also was dosing phyto whenever I had clams, as well as acropower or other Amino's/vitamins supplements. Even had some home made phyto room local reefers for a while.

The 1-2 month time frame is generally from lack of enough light. What is the lighting and ever check PAR? Over that time did they ever put on new shell growth?

Clams seem more sensitive to everything though!

Mostly started them out at about 100 par and had some get up to 300, one up at about 400. Didn't seem to matter.

Yup, new shell growth is a big question! If they did not grow, then they were never "fine" but if they were growing that is really strange...

Do you have any peppermint shrimp? I hada clam that looked fine then a couple months after I added some peppermint shrimp to contol some aptashia And they ate away at its foot.

I did have peppermint shrimp. Never saw them near the clams though.

About 100 reasons, 90 of which no one has yet figured out. Lots of books talk about "sudden" and unexplained clam death.

1) Predation - Snails/Starving Inverts (Lobsters or bad crabs mostly - most shrimp wont bother them)
2) Disease - Pinched Mantle or derivatives
3) Food source - Lack of light and/or lack of nutrients in the water. Even if a clam is blasted with light it still needs some nitrogen in the water and vise versa. They need both sources of food.
4) Acclimation - Clams naturally handle swings pretty well since they often live in areas that can be exposed to air during very low tides. They do not however do well with pH swings or alk swings.

No3 used to be lower than it is now. Used to be about 2ppm solid but now more like 10 to 15. Po4 about the same. Used to be under .1 but now is generally around .2 to .3

As far as pests I've done all the research on clam pests and never found any. I have a bunch of wrasses I think would knock out any pests anyway. Never saw any fish pick on the clams and they never closed up prior to gaping and dying.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was really hoping someone would say they are a little more sensitive to copper than corals are. Now that I feel my water is straitening out, I'd like to try one again.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back