My new clam arrived from interstate completely separated from his rock. His entire foot ripped out!

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The packaging wasn’t the best treated. Half water missing and the clam in 2 pieces. I’m thinking I have 2 as it’s my 1st clam experience. A maxima. I’ve taken it out & underneath it is a huge empty hole, I also copped a spray. Very gross. I’ve examined the rock piece and the other part of his body is firmly attached. I’ve then realised it’s been torn apart. The rock firstly was heavier than the clam which wouldn’t help.
I’ve acclimated him anyway and he’s opened up beautifully like nothing wrong but I’m sure it’s sensitive and stressed. I’ve since put him on the sand bed .
What’s the outcome of such a sad situation! I’m honestly devastated. I was truly horrid when I’ve realised what’s happened to him. It’s the first time I’ve seen a live clam let alone owning or treating a sick one.
Any suggestions on what I can do is much appreciated! Thanks guys .

IMG_2490.jpeg IMG_2487.jpeg IMG_2489.jpeg IMG_2524.jpeg IMG_2498.jpeg

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The packaging wasn’t the best treated. Half water missing and the clam in 2 pieces. I’m thinking I have 2 as it’s my 1st clam experience. A maxima. I’ve taken it out & underneath it is a huge empty hole, I also copped a spray. Very gross. I’ve examined the rock piece and the other part of his body is firmly attached. I’ve then realised it’s been torn apart. The rock firstly was heavier than the clam which wouldn’t help.
I’ve acclimated him anyway and he’s opened up beautifully like nothing wrong but I’m sure it’s sensitive and stressed. I’ve since put him on the sand bed .
What’s the outcome of such a sad situation! I’m honestly devastated. I was truly horrid when I’ve realised what’s happened to him. It’s the first time I’ve seen a live clam let alone owning or treating a sick one.

I know. I’m devestated & horrified. The poor owner of the store copped my episode 3 hrs straight via email as he wouldn’t respond. 3 hrs later after I’ve apologised he’s replied. Said it looks fine and lower it to get used to the lighting. That’s it. He has DOA guarantee & I’m thinking this could be just the same as DOA. It’s been 6 hrs so far after 2 days travel. Time will tell.

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok. I’ve just read that it will regrow its foot in a couple of weeks. Hope so. He’s definitely my favourite species in my tank already.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That look like your clam release it’s byssal fiber bundle rather than have it ripped off. His foot should be intact and uninjured. He may die still but not from the foot problem. He has recent growth which is a good sign.
The lack of tissue, empty space inside the shell indicated that he is thin and not have a lot of reserves which is a bad sign.

Picture of the shell to let us see how much white shell near the edge would let us know more about the recent health of the clam.
Best of luck.

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That look like your clam release it’s byssal fiber bundle rather than have it ripped off. His foot should be intact and uninjured. He may die still but not from the foot problem. He has recent growth which is a good sign.
The lack of tissue, empty space inside the shell indicated that he is thin and not have a lot of reserves which is a bad sign.

Picture of the shell to let us see how much white shell near the edge would let us know more about the recent health of the clam.
Best of luck.
Thank you

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef is this salvageable?
He’s already starting to regrow his threads or fibre bundle. He is regenerating already & feeding. A tail piece similar cloudy structure is coming out of it. I’m guessing his foot? It’s close to some rock cradle we built today. Hopefully he can position onto that. Such a strange creation

Last edited:
OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news the clam is feeding fine & starting to regenerate already. Still healthy & strong . A good start For its survival

IMG_2538.jpeg IMG_2539.jpeg IMG_2540.jpeg IMG_2542.jpeg

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Best of luck.

Attachments

• IMG_2538.jpeg
    IMG_2538.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2539.jpeg
    IMG_2539.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2541.jpeg
    IMG_2541.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foot drops during stressors like shipping. It happens all the time. I really wouldn’t be concerned
It looked worse than it is I suppose. I was worried I’d lost half of him. It still has a strong nervous system as it’s quite responsive & active & is now regenerating already. I read a few weeks only to re construct himself. Pretty cool

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked worse than it is I suppose. I was worried I’d lost half of him. It still has a strong nervous system as it’s quite responsive & active & is now regenerating already. I read a few weeks only to re construct himself. Pretty cool
When I used to work at a wholesaler we would get hundreds and most would drop their foot. They do well once settled :) best of luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back