Guide to Buying & Keeping Maxima Clams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cultured Maxima clams at the farm in Tonga, we bring in these too.
1485_1522121229847~5.jpeg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each system is different, but over the years I have found I see issues above 8. In the areas where we collected clams in French Polynesia I tested several areas and always was less than 8.
Fanstastic Ariticle and Great Photos.

I too am shocked on the 8dkH limit.
My Early Reef years, I was probably running Alk at 10 or higher. Unstable too.
I bought a tiny Clam, and it grew over many years to Massive. Very Healthy too.
I lost that beauty due to a copper contamination when Kent had a Batch of Copper Contaminated Carbon that was recalled, but I found out too late. The Copper hit my inverts hard first. Wiped out the Corals a day later.
That was years ago, and I've alway had a itch to get another Clam.
Your article just intensified that Ich.

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cultured Maxima clams at the farm in Tahiti, coming in later next week. 6cm
received_834362350723838~2.jpeg

When you say they like dirtier/higher nutrient water... what range do you recommend. I am a 30-year reefer, who has always wanted to try clams, but never got around to it. But I do tend to have crystal clear, "dirtier" water tanks. Corals always do great so I've never been concerned with trying to achieve ultra low nutrients, etc. Thanks!

Derby City Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info
We look forward to setting up a wholesale account with your company and purchasing some clams in the near future!!!!

bec1750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a home aquarium we would not see the natural spawning and settling of clams, thus not see the embedding in rock we see in the wild. In our tanks, the clams do quite well attached to rock, shell, or rubble. Nowadays, I put all the clams on shells and almost all of them I ship are already attached. Probably one of the best gauges as to health is that the clam is firmly attached.

20200805_132236~2.jpg

Here we see a Maxima clam attached to a shell. Note there is a gelatinous material the clam produces around the attachment site around the foot which is the flat part on the bottom of the clam. Once attached firmly the clam is no longer vulnerable to predators through the foot.
20200805_132220~2.jpg

I use oyster or other shells.
20200805_132202~2.jpg
So when we buy a clam from you they come attached to oyster or other shells? If the answer is yes then can we just put the clam on our sand bed since it’s already attached to a shell?
Thanks!!!

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed in a couple of your videos and your write up you mention not recommending wild caught clams but on your site there are a few for sale that are wild caught. Is there something about those particular clams that are different?

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed in a couple of your videos and your write up you mention not recommending wild caught clams but on your site there are a few for sale that are wild caught. Is there something about those particular clams that are different?

Yes. We now get wild collected clams from Tonga and due to correct handling they are equally hardy as cultured. However, they're availability is sporadic and likely we won't have more until sometime next year

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your thoughts on clams that are clams that are known to be positive for Perkinsus? It make it through my quarantine in August and wiped out all but one derasa. I assume that derasa is still carrying it and will infect any new clams I might add so now I am trying to figure out what to do with it, it is healthy and growing well.
Dr. Mac, what are your thoughts on this previous question? I'm wondering the same thing. Thanks!!

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Mac, what are your thoughts on this previous question? I'm wondering the same thing. Thanks!!

The best bet would be to remove the remaining clam to isolation and do a long clam fallow period in the main tank, maybe 90 days. The removed clam can go through a series of six 10 minute freshwater dips over a period of a week, although the dips don't always help, but not much else can be done.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back