Clams got rid of cyano?

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a 6+" squamosa/maxima clam. I had and issue with cyano but about a month has gone by and I have noticed that almost all of my cyano is gone. Could this be possible? Did the clam filter out enough crud in the water to rid cyano? I really don't think this is possible, but I haven't done a water change in a month.

I do have a different light fixture but it has older bulbs than what I was using. I also did change out GFO, but it was the same amount that was in there before and it didn't work then... That's it clam, light, GFO.

Tank is 120g mixed reef with a total water volume of 150 gallons.

Last edited:

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, for the most part, it may be the actions you've taken towards your filtration that little by little is helping over the course of time. Maybe you're feeding less, siphoning out the cyano as you do water changes, etc.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, for the most part, it may be the actions you've taken towards your filtration that little by little is helping over the course of time. Maybe you're feeding less, siphoning out the cyano as you do water changes, etc.

+1 on siphoning out during water changes and lowering nutrients

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, the clam didn't remove the Cyano, if that was the case then my tank wouldn't be in the state it is in now....

Care to post a pic of the clam so I could ID it for you? It sounds like you are a little unsure of the ID.

Shauno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clam may have consumed some NO3 and PO4 which again, may have been contributing to your cyano. Without some before and after (adding the clam) tank parameter numbers, we can only guess what has occurred.

Congrats on the vanishing of the cyano.

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skinz it's the one that you were unsure of :). I have heard squamosa and maxima from clam people so I have no idea. I bought it as a squamosa.

a6934819-c6db-d7f4.jpg

a6934819-c709-801a.jpg

a6934819-c731-7129.jpg

There it is. With its double mantle thing squamosa/maximaness :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clam may have consumed some NO3 and PO4 which again, may have been contributing to your cyano. Without some before and after (adding the clam) tank parameter numbers, we can only guess what has occurred.

Congrats on the vanishing of the cyano.

I have been reading that they are great filters and then this lead to my question. I found it really hard to believe that it could be possible, but thought it may be worth asking.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loki, the clam idea of filtration kinda resembles the mangrove idea. You need a whole lot to make a difference... but the problem is the maintenance of them will quickly make them not worth it as a filtration method.

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loki, the clam idea of filtration kinda resembles the mangrove idea. You need a whole lot to make a difference... but the problem is the maintenance of them will quickly make them not worth it as a filtration method.

Okay that makes sense.

Shauno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That is a strange clam. Looking at the shell, the scutes, the byssal opening and the mantle - IMO you have a squamosa.

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See. I had someone else swear that it was a maxima. What do you guys think about the dual mantle thing? I have been looking around and I still have yet to see another one with it.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantle coloration screams Maxima but the facts are in the shell, it's a Squamosa. The weird growth in the mantle is probably due to being cramped in it's younger years and not being able to fully open so it made do with what it could.

Shauno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantle coloration screams Maxima but the facts are in the shell, it's a Squamosa. The weird growth in the mantle is probably due to being cramped in it's younger years and not being able to fully open so it made do with what it could.

+1 on this. Could also have been damaged (bitten, smashed, coral fell on to it, etc) and healed this way. I have seen this on a few wild maxima's but not on a squamosa. It's pretty cool.

Shauno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Curious why you state this? I have 12 clams in a 34g and for me, they are every bit worth the maintenance to keep...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 69 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back