clams in aquarium

dr.fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I would like to know the secret from those who have successfully kept clams lets say more than 2 years? tahitian clam seems harder to keep, does anyone kept one for long time? I have you done that? what is the constant in those aquarium that clams have survived? I am an experienced reefer but my aquarium is mostly sps. i suspect that low nitrates (around 1 ppm) was the cause. Another option is those snails but never seen some. I would very much like to be able to keep one long therm! thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Utilize the basics:

temp no higher than 80
Alk no higher than 9
Ph no higher than 8.3
Salinity no higher than 1.025
Good lighting
Moderate water flow
Feed phytoplankton daily
CA no higher than 450

inspect daily for presence of pyramid snails which will kill them

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have kept clams for over 15 years now. Some successful, some beyond my control, some just ugh! I have kept a full grown crocea for about 10 years. My other crocea was 5 years, my maxima was close to 5 years. My derasa was 3-4 years. Now, I currently have giga, 2x crocea and squammie.
I have kept others, but depending on size and issues, they did not last much more than 2 years. Some died because I had pyramid snails (my 5 yr maxima). Some because I had fish picking on them. Two were lost to a hungry snail (suppose to be reef safe). One ripped its own bysal opening moving. A few to unknown causes after months. Few in tank transition and an alk spike.
Some lost because I went on vacation. Those were my babies though. Had them almost 2 years. Bummer.

I found the key to clams is:
1. to pick a good one. Get maximas and croceas at least 3-4" in size. Squammies and derasas can be more like 2" to start. Open, happy, colorful, responsive, fat.
2. keep your parameters constant and steady. They will need constant ca and mg supplements (but as you have sps, should not be hard there).
3. low to medium flow.
4. higher to medium light.
5. to have no animals that will pick or bother them too much.

I have kept all my clams on the sandbed (once out of qt). I also have fed babies through blowing off rock, plankton, phyto, etc.
Good luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back