Clam decision.

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to get a clam you can check my WIP build below for stocking list please input if any of those fish may harm the clam. I would like input on a couple of things I have never had a clam before but I'm leaning to the maxima as I love the color and I do like a challenge. But have been reading that Derasa may be more hardy. Also Is it worth 3D printing a foundation for the clam to attach to or would piece of rock be better? My tank is not even wet yet I do have it but Im still havent done my HNSA yet.... Im taking my absolute time on this build haha.

Please help me decide Maxima or Derasa?

Thanks!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish look fine. I’m not familiar with those lights but says they put out 275 watts. The maxima you want at leadt 300 par. More would be better so up on the rockwork with the maxima. You can use one of the “clam cradles” that are available that way you can move the clam if you have to without damaging the byssal gland.

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish look fine. I’m not familiar with those lights but says they put out 275 watts. The maxima you want at leadt 300 par. More would be better so up on the rockwork with the maxima. You can use one of the “clam cradles” that are available that way you can move the clam if you have to without damaging the byssal gland.
Thanks for the input. I will look into the cradles. Would both the derasa and maxima in one tank be fine? Its 5 foot tank

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are super easy to keep, they’re a far more advanced invertebrate than coral or anemones. They just need a lot of light. For maxima I wouldn’t do anything less than 400. Derasa is more forgiving, 250+.

The reason folks tend to struggle with them is the trend towards heavy blue LEDs with PAR ranges that tend to top out around 250. That won’t give you success with clams. And for some reason, folks also tend to run LEDs without a PAR meter, which is a huge no-no with LEDs.

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are super easy to keep, they’re a far more advanced invertebrate than coral or anemones. They just need a lot of light. For maxima I wouldn’t do anything less than 400. Derasa is more forgiving, 250+.

The reason folks tend to struggle with them is the trend towards heavy blue LEDs with PAR ranges that tend to top out around 250. That won’t give you success with clams. And for some reason, folks also tend to run LEDs without a PAR meter, which is a huge no-no with LEDs.
I think I can get 400 par with the reefi. I have only heard good things about them.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can get 400 par with the reefi. I have only heard good things about them.
Yep you definitely could. I have one, it's very, very blue. It wouldn't be my choice if your build is centered around some clams, I would go with something whiter. Clams aren't coral, they don't fluoresce, only reflect and refract. Therefore the whiter the light, the better they tend to look. They're also adapted for a whiter spectrum, they're found in such shallow waters that the spectrum isn't really blue shifted from that of NSL.

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep you definitely could. I have one, it's very, very blue. It wouldn't be my choice if your build is centered around some clams, I would go with something whiter. Clams aren't coral, they don't fluoresce, only reflect and refract. Therefore the whiter the light, the better they tend to look. They're also adapted for a whiter spectrum, they're found in such shallow waters that the spectrum isn't really blue shifted from that of NSL.
Clams are not really what I want to center the tank around. Its just something I would like to have in the tank as I think they are underrated and want to spread the love around as well. I have heard they are more blue Do you have the 2.0 pro or the originals?

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would probably just get a maxima I thought about both but a nice one should be just fine.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maxima and derasa both doing well tho I've only had the maxima 6 months and 9 months for the derasa. As already stated light is critical. I could not keep a clam alive untill I invested in a par meter. My derasa is under 300 par and the maxima 350-400

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my maximas receive about 500 par at the peak of my schedule. Had to actually turn my lights down slightly because I was stressing some corals but the clams love it.
20230924_101035.jpg

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maxima and derasa both doing well tho I've only had the maxima 6 months and 9 months for the derasa. As already stated light is critical. I could not keep a clam alive untill I invested in a par meter. My derasa is under 300 par and the maxima 350-400
I will be getting a par meter once I get into corals about a year or so later once I get my tank up and going. but right now slow and easy does it in planning mode. I will likely get the clam then as well.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to look for is predatory snails. As an example whelks that sometimes get sold as nassarious. I’m a big fan of blue squamosas if you can find one- that blue is unmatched.

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to look for is predatory snails. As an example whelks that sometimes get sold as nassarious. I’m a big fan of blue squamosas if you can find one- that blue is unmatched.
Yeah I have heard of pyramid snails being the clam killers. I will be qting everything that goes into my tank :)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The first thing to buy is James Fatherree's book on clams (if you haven't done so already?). Light is the number one focus with clams, so no matter what species, be prepared to have enough light (and right spectrum) to keep the clam happy. I'm not going to start throwing out numbers, but always have enough light in reserve to meet the clams needs. My other piece of advice, don't buy wild caught clams, especially maximas, they simply don't last without massive amounts of light, even then they tend to not live long term. I would wait until you have the tank dialed in and corals are thriving before adding a clam, it will make your life (and clams) easier. Derasa and squamosa are more forgiving, but they get big, so you'll need space for them to grow. Maxima and crocea are the hardest to keep, as they both require a ton of quality light. I personally hate clam cradles and tend to use live rock as an anchor/attachment point. Look for natural places in your rock work that a clam (maxima and crocea) can "sit in", as this will provide them the best area to attach. As others have stated, daylight spectrum is the best way to view/grow clams, nothing else compares and blue light absolutely sucks for displaying the awesome colors of their mantles. I think you can crank the lime channel on the Reefi's to get a whiter look/spectrum, but you may want to consider a "spot" light to highlight the clam?

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing to buy is James Fatherree's book on clams (if you haven't done so already?). Light is the number one focus with clams, so no matter what species, be prepared to have enough light (and right spectrum) to keep the clam happy. I'm not going to start throwing out numbers, but always have enough light in reserve to meet the clams needs. My other piece of advice, don't buy wild caught clams, especially maximas, they simply don't last without massive amounts of light, even then they tend to not live long term. I would wait until you have the tank dialed in and corals are thriving before adding a clam, it will make your life (and clams) easier. Derasa and squamosa are more forgiving, but they get big, so you'll need space for them to grow. Maxima and crocea are the hardest to keep, as they both require a ton of quality light. I personally hate clam cradles and tend to use live rock as an anchor/attachment point. Look for natural places in your rock work that a clam (maxima and crocea) can "sit in", as this will provide them the best area to attach. As others have stated, daylight spectrum is the best way to view/grow clams, nothing else compares and blue light absolutely sucks for displaying the awesome colors of their mantles. I think you can crank the lime channel on the Reefi's to get a whiter look/spectrum, but you may want to consider a "spot" light to highlight the clam?

Thank you for all the input!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back