ClariSea install

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found good info out on the Facebook page for Red Sea Max/Reefer Owners. Go join the group and look through the posting

MistaPenguin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there fellow Reefer 250's :) I actually installed one a few days ago in V3. Super simple, but time consuming. I decided to go with soft plumbing since after heaps of research I realized that you may have to play with the depth of the Clarisea in your sump. I couldn't be happier, especially after a DIY egg crate stand.

I used 1in slip to 3/4 threaded fittings, barb to soft tubing(1in inner diameter). Both the drain from the reefer and the inlet on the Clarisea are 32mm. With a few wraps of some sealing tape and pipe cement I have no concern with any leaks.

After 2 days of watching the Clarisea I decided with a 4 square height with the egg crate stand. The wraps are much dirtier than the previous depth and there is no visable back pressure on the plumbing or overflow in the Clarisea.

This takes a spot in my top 3 must haves in my tank. I would not hesitate to purchase again. Let me know if I need to go into further detail and I am happy to assist.

Ps: the included mounts are too narrow with the original Reefer gate valve, another reason I decided to do the DIY egg crate stand. I forgot to take a pic of the finished product but will add when I get home tonight.

20190701_085753.jpg

20190701_122536.jpg

20190701_161527.jpg

MistaPenguin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there fellow Reefer 250's :) I actually installed one a few days ago in V3. Super simple, but time consuming. I decided to go with soft plumbing since after heaps of research I realized that you may have to play with the depth of the Clarisea in your sump. I couldn't be happier, especially after a DIY egg crate stand.

I used 1in slip to 3/4 threaded fittings, barb to soft tubing(1in inner diameter). Both the drain from the reefer and the inlet on the Clarisea are 32mm. With a few wraps of some sealing tape and pipe cement I have no concern with any leaks.

After 2 days of watching the Clarisea I decided with a 4 square height with the egg crate stand. The wraps are much dirtier than the previous depth and there is no visable back pressure on the plumbing or overflow in the Clarisea.

This takes a spot in my top 3 must haves in my tank. I would not hesitate to purchase again. Let me know if I need to go into further detail and I am happy to assist.

Ps: the included mounts are too narrow with the original Reefer gate valve, another reason I decided to do the DIY egg crate stand. I forgot to take a pic of the finished product but will add when I get home tonight.

20190701_085753.jpg

20190701_122536.jpg

20190701_161527.jpg

20190701_085753.jpg

20190701_122536.jpg

20190701_161527.jpg

20190701_222821.jpg

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190701_085753.jpg

20190701_122536.jpg

20190701_161527.jpg

What is the size of your male thread to barb?

MistaPenguin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the size of your male thread to barb?

3/4 in. I.D. x 3/4 in. MH Plastic Hose Barb Adapter. I would suggest physically testing the barb in whatever tube you are planning on using. Only 1 fit perfectly at my local home depot and it was a 1in ID.

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 in. I.D. x 3/4 in. MH Plastic Hose Barb Adapter. I would suggest physically testing the barb in whatever tube you are planning on using. Only 1 fit perfectly at my local home depot and it was a 1in ID.

Thanks. What is that adapter you have the barb going in at the Clarisea inlet?

MistaPenguin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. What is that adapter you have the barb going in at the Clarisea inlet?

NP! a reducing bushing - 1in" spigot (male) end with a 3/4" FPT (female pipe thread) connection. Did about 10 wraps of sealing tape and a bit of PVC cement.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190701_085753.jpg

20190701_122536.jpg

20190701_161527.jpg

Great info.. I removed the filer socks chamber but was wondering did you also remove the glass between were the refuge and return chamber are. Hope that makes since 65418592_10220061050146750_1261604848873242624_n.jpg 65467520_10220061049666738_6200825464135614464_n.jpg

MistaPenguin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! The only pieces I removed were the 1)glass between filter socks and where the return and overflow are 2) the top piece of material that connects the filter sock holder to the 2nd chamber. I can't remember if it was plastic or glass and I'm on vacation for the week :( I definitely remember not touching any other glass in the other chambers, though.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! The only pieces I removed were the 1)glass between filter socks and where the return and overflow are 2) the top piece of material that connects the filter sock holder to the 2nd chamber. I can't remember if it was plastic or glass and I'm on vacation for the week :( I definitely remember not touching any other glass in the other chambers, though.

Thanks for replying while on vacation :) That's all I have removed is the filter sock section. Which was the top plastic that held the plastic holders the glass that connected to the chambers. So the same as you. Thanks for posting the pics off to parts ;)

MistaPenguin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying while on vacation :) That's all I have removed is the filter sock section. Which was the top plastic that held the plastic holders the glass that connected to the chambers. So the same as you. Thanks for posting the pics off to parts ;)

Even on vacation we are still hooked on the hobby, hehe. Let me know if you run into any snags and definitely post some pics of the final product!

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you think there is concern about restricting the overflow? I got all of the fittings and about get it done but just wonder about cutting down the flow to 3/4. It really is the option I found also. What is killing us is the dang metric ;) Anyway how long you been with this setup and has been issues with the flow rate

MistaPenguin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think there is concern about restricting the overflow? I got all of the fittings and about get it done but just wonder about cutting down the flow to 3/4. It really is the option I found also. What is killing us is the dang metric ;) Anyway how long you been with this setup and has been issues with the flow rate

Happy Sunday! I've had zero issues thus far. since the tube is clear I can see the flow from the RSR plumbing to the soft plumb to the clarisea. There is a continuous stream of water with no backup. After the setup I didnt even touch the RSR flow valve.

It's been running for 3 weeks. Also wanted to note that I haven't even gone through half of the filter roll yet.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Sunday! I've had zero issues thus far. since the tube is clear I can see the flow from the RSR plumbing to the soft plumb to the clarisea. There is a continuous stream of water with no backup. After the setup I didnt even touch the RSR flow valve.

It's been running for 3 weeks. Also wanted to note that I haven't even gone through half of the filter roll yet.

Very good.. I will run with it. Thanks for all the feed back and posting of pic's. Having a v3 sump like us requires little more pluming work. One last thing is what the reasoning for raising the Clarisea up around 3-4 inches. I have seen others do that as well. Again for all the help.

David Geller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts about whether the Clarisea would fit in a 170 sump? Anything different from the 250 to be aware of?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back