Clean Chaeto. Is it really that big of a deal?

Grimreefer89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read different places that you should always start with clean chaeto. there are only so many places that sell CLEAN chaeto and none of them have it in stock if they do they want an arm and leg for the stuff. ive got a 210 gallon tank and the refugium is supposed to be the main filter. should i just get some local chaeto or keeping trying to find clean chaeto?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read different places that you should always start with clean chaeto. there are only so many places that sell CLEAN chaeto and none of them have it in stock if they do they want an arm and leg for the stuff. ive got a 210 gallon tank and the refugium is supposed to be the main filter. should i just get some local chaeto or keeping trying to find clean chaeto?
Depends on how you run your tank. Some clean every single thing that enters to prevent anything unwanted. Others welcome the diversity.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much the main filter, as main nutrient export.

Well, I can tell you this much. I bought some generic chaeto, and inside was 4 brittle stars and about 30 bristle worms. Shortly after introduction is when I started having aiptasia problems, though I cannot tie it directly to the chaeto. However there's now 7-8 aiptasia growing from said chaeto.

OP
OP
Grimreefer89

Grimreefer89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would an RODI water dip kill the bristle worms? bristle worms suck and i dont want to deal with dinos on this size tank. im not someone who tries to keep everything sterile but im not trying to introduce a pest to the tank all willy nilly like.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few in my tank. I view them as an excellent part of my CuC. A freshwater dip should get some out. Not sure about all.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What jekyl said, if you're going to qt all that enters your tank, get clean.
Otherwise get your local.
I don't care what's in the fuge as long as it's doing the job.

OP
OP
Grimreefer89

Grimreefer89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a few in my 40 breeder as well, then they exploded and theres really not much you can do but slow down on feeding...

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a few in my 40 breeder as well, then they exploded and theres really not much you can do but slow down on feeding...

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some from AlgaeBarn. You need to sign up and they'll notify you when its in stock. I had to wait about 3-4 weeks until I received an email notifying it was back in stock. I clicked on the link and ordered immediately. No problems. Chaeto is great and growing nicely.

OP
OP
Grimreefer89

Grimreefer89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well look at that i tried the arrow crab he didnt even try to eat them but the yellow coral banded shrimp sounds promising?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would an RODI water dip kill the bristle worms? bristle worms suck and i dont want to deal with dinos on this size tank. im not someone who tries to keep everything sterile but im not trying to introduce a pest to the tank all willy nilly like.

You could fresh water dip it, observe it for a few days, and dip it again. Im more concerned with worm eggs and possible aiptasia.

You could also try other macros. I actually prefer gracilaria

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me aiptasia is the big concern. I go through a lot of effort QTing every frag or piece of rock going into my tanks (for pests and aiptasia). Last thing i want is go cheap on this especially because unlike frags i find it hard to see aiptasia in the cheato.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came with aiptasia! And loads of other critters, too! Fortunately, I put it in a cycling tank that was going through a huge ammonia spike, and it killed everything (except the chaeto, which loved it). I threw out the chaeto shortly after that, as my bioload is small and chaeto is, well, gross, and I don't have any tanks with sums. If I went the chaeto route again, I'd definitely want some from a "clean" source.

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came with aiptasia! And loads of other critters, too! Fortunately, I put it in a cycling tank that was going through a huge ammonia spike, and it killed everything (except the chaeto, which loved it). I threw out the chaeto shortly after that, as my bioload is small and chaeto is, well, gross, and I don't have any tanks with sums. If I went the chaeto route again, I'd definitely want some from a "clean" source.
Yikes, that's sucks. Where did you get it from?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, that's sucks. Where did you get it from?
One of the three shops specializing in marine systems in Edmonton, which is a ten-hour roundtrip drive for me. It's actually a great store, and I don't hold it against them, as they offer overnight shipping (a rarity here!) and I expect all my macro to be infested in some manner. I've only ever had "clean" macro come in from sources which acquire their stock from ORA.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back