Stocking a Refugium

decastrat1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded my standard LFS sump to a really nice LifeReef sump and LifeReefugium.
The new LifeReefugium is significantly bigger and better then the refugium I had in my old sump.

Looking for tips and ideas on how to best stock this with micro-aglae and other clean-up-crew. The water volume is about 15 gallons now. I can easily had a small AC powerhead to increase water movement.

I previously had chaeto in the old refugium, but I think with the low flow through that system, hair algae took over.
Light source is a Kessil H80 Tuna Flora.
Main tank is 110 gallons reef with LPS and other softies.

I've never had an issue with NO3 or PO4 before and it's 1.5 years old.

Should I stick to chaeto or look at other options like Sea Lettuce? Personally think a Mangrove would be cool, but not sure I have the space.
What other CUC should I add in there?

PXL_20231227_155334885.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded my standard LFS sump to a really nice LifeReef sump and LifeReefugium.
The new LifeReefugium is significantly bigger and better then the refugium I had in my old sump.

Looking for tips and ideas on how to best stock this with micro-aglae and other clean-up-crew. The water volume is about 15 gallons now. I can easily had a small AC powerhead to increase water movement.

I previously had chaeto in the old refugium, but I think with the low flow through that system, hair algae took over.
Light source is a Kessil H80 Tuna Flora.
Main tank is 110 gallons reef with LPS and other softies.

I've never had an issue with NO3 or PO4 before and it's 1.5 years old.

Should I stick to chaeto or look at other options like Sea Lettuce? Personally think a Mangrove would be cool, but not sure I have the space.
What other CUC should I add in there?

PXL_20231227_155334885.jpg
Impressive with so much in so little space.

If nutrient export is not a priority, then consider a Feather Caulerpa as a gorgeous utilitarian display
macro algae. Use your refugium to recycle nutrients into pods to feed live food to tank. Both refugiums will feed lids to display..

This is my interpretation of a display refugium on steroids. Tank was set up 3 years ago and disabled & sand was ripped clean 10 dad ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
decastrat1

decastrat1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive with so much in so little space.

If nutrient export is not a priority, then consider a Feather Caulerpa as a gorgeous utilitarian display
macro algae. Use your refugium to recycle nutrients into pods to feed live food to tank. Both refugiums will feed lids to display..

This is my interpretation of a display refugium on steroids. Tank was set up 3 years ago and disabled & sand was ripped clean 10 dad ago.
That was an excellent setup you had.

The Feather Caulerpa is a really good idea and I'll have to see if my LFS has any to start with.

I'll probably eventually get some nice CUC in there the new refuguim too since it has so much water volume and an excellent display window. I'm down in that room all the time.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
decastrat1

decastrat1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a mud refugium with feather caulerpa. You can view it in my 'My tank thread' link. The substrate is alive with amphipods and seems to be providing lots of food for my mandarin who has plumped up nicely since he arrived a couple moths ago a bit on the thin side.

OP
OP
decastrat1

decastrat1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a mud refugium with feather caulerpa. You can view it in my 'My tank thread' link. The substrate is alive with amphipods and seems to be providing lots of food for my mandarin who has plumped up nicely since he arrived a couple moths ago a bit on the thin side.
Your build is beautiful and awesome.

A 40 gallon refugium is quite large.

Do you find mud extra beneficial for planting and another creatures? I only have leftover sand from the DT in there right now (probably at 2-3 inches deep in the refugium).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back