Clean Chaeto Issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Heads up about their Chaeto that is finally back in stock (occasionally) Ordered 2 of the tennis ball size (total of $70!). Received and looks like quality has gone down substantially. Completely limp and falling apart with a bad smell. Both jars the same. In the past I ordered and it was a nice bright green with a healthy bounce. Submitted a claim... only response back from a direct mail to them was that it looks healthy.

1595035840062.png

1595035655094.png

HaydenS13reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jon,

I received my clean cheato this week as well in the same condition. After speaking with AlgaeBarn, they let me know this is normal and to do a rinse of RODI or fresh saltwater. I rinsed with RODI until water was clean and smell was gone which was pretty quick.

Cheato seems to be back to life and hosting a healthy pod population already all within 2 days.

Happy Reefing!

HaydenS13reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping it recovers.

Just disappointing compared to previous experience with them and the premium price. Last time I received a jar that was almost full and it was a nice "brillo" ball that held together.
I agree and it will recover, fingers crossed.

This was my first time ordering cheato from AlgaeBarn and had a slight what the heck when I opened the box and instantly called.

My local trusted lfs said they might have some critters in theirs so I went with AlgaeBarn.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jon,

I received my clean cheato this week as well in the same condition. After speaking with AlgaeBarn, they let me know this is normal and to do a rinse of RODI or fresh saltwater. I rinsed with RODI until water was clean and smell was gone which was pretty quick.

Cheato seems to be back to life and hosting a healthy pod population already all within 2 days.

Happy Reefing!
Normal? I have bought cheato on this site was dark green firm no white areas (dying) and had zero smell and got a whole bag for 20 bucks

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that first batch you received is not a good batch. Glad they fixed that for you. But at $70?!? Wow....this is an example of how marketing and pretty website and packaging works!

I got them for free for fellow reefers who throw it out weekly. Clean and full of pods.

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally give these away to fellow reefers. I was given my first batch for free so I give back. Anyhow, You couldn’t find anyone local or LFS that can donate you this stuff or at least for a lot cheaper? Just my two cents. I hope it comes along.
With all due respect, I'd rather buy than risk the hitchhiker's that come from someone's fuge.

OP
OP
Jon's Reef

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There are good sources on here also. I bought some from one of the sellers in the forum and am impressed with that quality. Originally I went with Algae Barn just for the "extra" peace of mind.

OP
OP
Jon's Reef

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In all cases it boils down to previous experience of yourself and others. There are many good private sellers on here with good feedback. A public company like Algae barn has a lot of good feedback, and if companies like BRS also sell it that is a bit of a boost to their rep.

Not everyone is perfect, in this case the stuff from Algae Barn was not as good as I had expected. I followed the process and they came through with a great product. From a store like that I expect my money is not only buying the product, but if something goes wrong they will fix it because they can’t just ditch their username and start over.

for those who have been in the hobby longer, private purchases are more common from people they have known and trust, but for those of us starting up we haven’t built the network and confidence.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is given away non-stop on our local forums. Spend that money on expensive gear, not chaeto.
If you're doing it for convenience, I understand.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got my 1st order from Algaebarn today. Should've arrived Wednesday but of course USPS not cooperating.
15956894283469191519497540111699.jpg

I think they looked ok. But there is some brown stuff on the jar. Not moving fortunately. Is that pest? Or just die off?

Also got pods from them

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back