Clean Macroalgae Option

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone considered either dipping Macroalgae in copper dosed saltwater or running it with copper for several days to kill off all inverts? I’ve done this in the past with freshwater plants that were infested with snails and worked to some extent but I didn’t add copper to the point it might be lethal to fish since fish were already present yet was planning on doing that next batch of plants added but canceled my freshwater experiments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae will absorb trace amounts of copper & zinc. At some point, copper will kill algae.
But at what amount will it kill algae considering it takes copper and other metals out of the water. My theory being to add enough copper to kill the inverts but not the algae and guessing that which wouldn’t kill fish likely a safe dosage to not kill algae. Plants are used to remove heavy metals although we’d likely need to experiment for our specific use yet it seems to be a solution to buying from unknown sources or even those claiming to be pest free since in the fine print they remove liability that there might still be hitchhikers.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will never be 100% sterilized of all inverts. Most inverts are good & necessary in a functioning healthy reef tank.

I suggest you sanitize and leave copper out of the quarantine process,

Last edited:
OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will never be 100% sterilized of all inverts. Most inverts are good & necessary in a functioning healthy reef tank.

I suggest you sanitize and leave copper out of the quarantine process,
But why leave it out unless it will harm the Macroalgae? Seeking an option on obtaining a source when getting it from clean sources aren't available or too pricey and why I ask.

I grasp most inverts are good and necessary but prefer to start with nothing but Macroalgae. Similar to starting with RODI which also contains beneficial bacteria we then add back later.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why leave it out unless it will harm the Macroalgae? Seeking an option on obtaining a source when getting it from clean sources aren't available or too pricey and why I ask.

I grasp most inverts are good and necessary but prefer to start with nothing but Macroalgae. Similar to starting with RODI which also contains beneficial bacteria we then add back later.
Copper will kill macroalgae. At exactly what concentration, I don’t know. Do an experiment and you tell us.

Dry analysis of Gracilaria Parvispora grown in zero discharge 10K gallon growout in a greenhouse.

N at 2.5%
P at 0.082%
K at 13.54%
Ca at 0.555%
Mg at 1.163%
Zn at 139ppm
Fe at 107ppm
Cu at 7ppm

PS: I use copper to kill roots in sewage field line.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone considered either dipping Macroalgae in copper dosed saltwater or running it with copper for several days to kill off all inverts? I’ve done this in the past with freshwater plants that were infested with snails and worked to some extent but I didn’t add copper to the point it might be lethal to fish since fish were already present yet was planning on doing that next batch of plants added but canceled my freshwater experiments and just going off thrust now.
If I recall Algae barn had an article that warned against dipping macros. . . in my experience best way to get clean macro algae is to just clean it yourself. . . I have bough handfuls here and there, and just pick the cleanest in the bunch and go through it with a "fine toothed comb" (figuratively speaking of course). Then throw out any bits that seem suspect.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer dipping the macroalhae in freshwater than is a different temp than what it was in. I've noticed this "shocks" everything into curling up or swimming off. I shake it around in the freshwater for a bit, see what comes off, and then move forward. This obviously doesn't work for aiptasia or disease

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, I've tried growing chaeto and gracilaria in a copper system and they both died. If you want to kill the inverts, repeated freshwater baths and transfers into new buckets of saltwater is the only way I can see you getting at what you are trying to do which would account for eggs and what not.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would buy some macros like chaeto from AlgaeBarn they are clean and if you want you give dip it in freshwater or run it under the sink to get rid of any critters. That’s what I do with all my macros.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper will kill macroalgae. At exactly what concentration, I don’t know. Do an experiment and you tell us.

Dry analysis of Gracilaria Parvispora grown in zero discharge 10K gallon growout in a greenhouse.

N at 2.5%
P at 0.082%
K at 13.54%
Ca at 0.555%
Mg at 1.163%
Zn at 139ppm
Fe at 107ppm
Cu at 7ppm

PS: I use copper to kill roots in sewage field line.
I grasp the best internet response is “do it and let us know” but that’s why I’m asking if another has done it. We all know we can test it ourselves but perhaps at the moment not practical and why I ask for others who might have. That’s the response I’m seeking.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall Algae barn had an article that warned against dipping macros. . . in my experience best way to get clean macro algae is to just clean it yourself. . . I have bough handfuls here and there, and just pick the cleanest in the bunch and go through it with a "fine toothed comb" (figuratively speaking of course). Then throw out any bits that seem suspect.
But were they talking about copper dips or perhaps FW which I’ve seen some trying with mixed results?

I’m asking because Algae Barn doesn’t always have and I’m able to acquire certain items locally from the ocean as well as swaps. Just seeking an option vs going to a clean source which might not be available

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, I've tried growing chaeto and gracilaria in a copper system and they both died. If you want to kill the inverts, repeated freshwater baths and transfers into new buckets of saltwater is the only way I can see you getting at what you are trying to do which would account for eggs and what not.
Was this copper at a level to kill Ich for example?

I’ve seen conflicting results on FW dips. Although that’s worked for me with fish.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy some macros like chaeto from AlgaeBarn they are clean and if you want you give dip it in freshwater or run it under the sink to get rid of any critters. That’s what I do with all my macros.
Except Algae Barn doesn’t always have what I’m seeking. Why I’m asking about using copper.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer dipping the macroalhae in freshwater than is a different temp than what it was in. I've noticed this "shocks" everything into curling up or swimming off. I shake it around in the freshwater for a bit, see what comes off, and then move forward. This obviously doesn't work for aiptasia or disease
Aiptasia one of my main concerns. Bristol worms the other as well as any other pests that might have hitched a ride including Ich

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia one of my main concerns. Bristol worms the other as well as any other pests that might have hitched a ride including Ich
If you want to include 100% removal of ich, I suggest you quarantine for 72 days and that might not be enough time. When I started in his hobby, the scientific literature said 14 days.

I doubt that copper will even injure Aptasia.

There is no one 100% elimination of all pest. There are pros & cons for each choice. Enjoy the hobby.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to include 100% removal of ich, I suggest you quarantine for 72 days.

There is no one 100% elimination of all pest. There are pros & cons for each choice. Enjoy the hobby.
Understand the 72 days but copper with tank transfer another method as well as using sediment filters and just seeking knowledge beyond what is assumed most know and perhaps dips in copper can rid pests like worms.

Not seeking direction or permission. Just knowledge.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which macroalgae are you wanting? I ordered from gulf coast ecosystems and theirs was very nice. Only one non pod hitchhiker and I don't even know what it was (not a worm, but something that looked like a pillbug.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which macroalgae are you wanting? I ordered from gulf coast ecosystems and theirs was very nice. Only one non pod hitchhiker and I don't even know what it was (not a worm, but something that looked like a pillbug.
Want to try Pom Pom which isn’t always available plus spring to fall there’s also a possibility of acquiring Gracilaria locally off the reef. No clue what exact species but I also want the option to obtain from other reefers should that be the only option available.

I’m being proactive should I suddenly need to reestablish my refugium should a die off occur from something like a heat event or other unexpected. Planning on a hybrid Triton/Moonshiner method with the refugium not just handling nutrients but also combatting my low ph due to air tight housing with all other options having been eliminated. Fact is only reason to add a refugium now for ph raising through CO2 removal.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back