Clean up crew for 13 gal reef tank.

FireHouseReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the attached photo look like a good clean up crew for my tank? I wanted an emerald crab too but I guess they need something to eat and my tank it too clean.
Screenshot 2021-03-31 144217.png
20210331_135723.jpg

Last edited:

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid hermit crabs in a small tank, even with empty shells they will tend to eat a snail because they are like that sometimes.

My suggestion is
3 nassaurius
2 trochus or one turbo
10 dwarf ceriths
1 emerald, just give it some food.

OP
OP
FireHouseReef

FireHouseReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid hermit crabs in a small tank, even with empty shells they will tend to eat a snail because they are like that sometimes.

My suggestion is
3 nassaurius
2 trochus or one turbo
10 dwarf ceriths
1 emerald, just give it some food.
any suggestions on food for the emerald?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Halloween hermit in my Evo. It's...fine, but still knocks over anything that isn't glued down and makes a mess of things. One hermit crab is more than enough in a tank this size.

I'd double down on the trochus snails. Ceriths are great, but trochus snails are much better algae vacuums. I'd consider an urchin if you can afford it as well. I have three (one in a 4g jar), and they're great.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look to me like your tank needs "cleaning up" - what are you trying to manage? IME the #1 reason cuc members die is lack of appropriate food, so I would wait until you see more algae, etc.

OP
OP
FireHouseReef

FireHouseReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks only a little over 2 weeks old and I just added fish so I figured the algae is coming eventually with more waste now. I see what your saying and don't want to over do it with the CUC if there is nothing to clean. Based on the advice I will start slow with just one hermit and snail. I would enjoy a tuxedo urchin if I see one for sale.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks only a little over 2 weeks old and I just added fish so I figured the algae is coming eventually with more waste now. I see what your saying and don't want to over do it with the CUC if there is nothing to clean. Based on the advice I will start slow with just one hermit and snail. I would enjoy a tuxedo urchin if I see one for sale.
#mikedawg is right, though: your CUC needs to eat. You might have to feed them algae pellets to tide them over until algae growth starts.

What are your water parameters like? When did this tank finish its cycle? You can't add inverts if NH3 is still a problem.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah tuxedos are a favorite of mine and will eat nori if you need to supplement

OP
OP
FireHouseReef

FireHouseReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#mikedawg is right, though: your CUC needs to eat. You might have to feed them algae pellets to tide them over until algae growth starts.

What are your water parameters like? When did this tank finish its cycle? You can't add inverts if NH3 is still a problem.
I did an active bacteria starter. Cycle completed in about 10 days. I added fish week 2 and planning on adding inverts week 4.

Temp: 76
PH: 7.8
Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 80 ppm
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

Back