Clean up crew help needed for green hair algae in a softy tank

rcdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I need some help. I have green hair algae in my 25 lagoon which houses leathers and Kenya and a few mushrooms and zoas

I always feel like when I see like hermits at a lfs I'm afraid I'm going to choose the wrong one.

Think I'm going to go and get me feet wet on buying online (never tried it)suggest some sites if possible

Please suggest a clean up crew for a softy tank.

Also I am slowly removing my sand bed

Thanks

1MCp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I need some help. I have green hair algae in my 25 lagoon which houses leathers and Kenya and a few mushrooms and zoas

I always feel like when I see like hermits at a lfs I'm afraid I'm going to choose the wrong one.

Think I'm going to go and get me feet wet on buying online (never tried it)suggest some sites if possible

Please suggest a clean up crew for a softy tank.

Also I am slowly removing my sand bed

Thanks
Trochus snail did the best job for me. But at the end of the day, green hair algae is a b!t(h and will come back to haunt you. No clean up crew will keep it at bay 100%. I had my fish yellow tang along with foxface and trochus who all love green hair algae, and weeks down the road I ended up taking the rocks out and softly scrubbing them off. And then did small daily water changes, now I have 0 green hair algae.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot John Maloney an E mail or call him @reefcleaners.org he will help set up your perfect cuc! So worth it. You will get top quality clean animals. And plenty of them for your money. [emoji106]

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manually scrub with toothbrush/brush, turbo snails(make sure things are glued down and rocks are sturdy)limit white lighting a bit and using R/O water is how I conquered mine completely. Hermits, lawnmower blenny, urchin and other snails might have done a little something also but mainly the turbos and R/O switch made it disappear in a hurry. Good luck

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for turbo snails and take a look at your nitrate/phosphate levels. If they are high, come up with a plan to reduce or else you will just keep encountering the same issues.

Above mentioned about the lights is another thing to look at. If you use lights that let you control different spectrums, certain spectrums encourage algae growth and will want to be limited. If your lights do not have that type of controlability, reduce your schedule a tad.

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate nitrate nitrate.. start a refugee with some macros grow algae on purpose in the sump and it’ll take care of the unwanted algae in the dt.

OP
OP
rcdude

rcdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will test for nitrates today
I us rodi water but I have notice that my pressure has been low, so I ordered a booster pump.

I've had the algae for at least 3-4 months, I assume it's green hair but some patches are brown
Help judge via the picture

I notice the algae outbreak from my past batch of salt I got, so I read it is possible from bad salt to develop algea.

I do weekly 5 gallon water changes
And once a moknth scrubbing with a tooth brush
c8ea1ba5ed76ccfa29f561225359fc7a.jpg
4b54e1e2b6e13a0c8ccc513f15dbb7f8.jpg
172d1cb70a6fd7e45e3ec68e5e29f8ff.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also test your phosphate levels as high levels can be a major cause of green algea feeding off it, in addition to high nitrates.

When you test for phosphate if you get a zero reading, it’s probably all being taken up by the green algea which is feeding off it so it’s a bit misleading.

Ideally once under control your phosphate needs to be a around 0.03ppm ish. You may need to look into GFO (Rhowaphos for example) or you could also look at Red Sea NoPox which will help primary with Nitrate control and to a lesser extent phosphate.

You need to fix what’s causing it first, but if you want a quick fix look into Vibrant Liquid (see large thread on here) which is what I used once I eradicated the prime cause. It’s killed the GHA within 2 doses very quickly, but again you need to find the cause and stop it.

One other main cause of high nutrients is bad RODI water being made up by either yourself or your LFS. The TDS should be around 0 ideally, but many shops sell it at much higher levels and if you use thus your introducing nutrients in every water change or top off.

OP
OP
rcdude

rcdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it three times
Zero on all

I run gfo but the crappy IM reactor always clogs up and stops tumbling
I'm gonna have to monitor it more often
814dc45e3f975904fb78079507e94c0b.jpg
cfa2ab42c2e96694ca48baaec9dd9166.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back