Clean up crew help

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 105 gallons total volume and I’m in need of a clean up crew. Currently I only have 2 astrea star snails and a few nassarius. All my turbos died off so I’m looking to get quite a bit of snails. I had cyano for a few weeks but I went away one weekend and when I came back it all was gone so that was super nice. I have small hair algae all over, short brown strands and some sort of green algae on the sand that my foxface loves. I was thinking of getting:
10 trochus
10 astrea
4 cerith
2 fighting conch
1-3 turbos
Do you think this will be enough and will it be good for a range of stuff? I was looking into hermits for leftover food and incase a fish dies but read too many bad things. Also thought of a blue tuxedo urchin but that is a maybe cause I had one before and it didn’t do much, just bulldozed all my coral around. Open to any suggestions! Tank doesn’t have a lid so anything known to crawl out is off the list. Tank is about 3 months old.
Thanks in advance

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a slightly smaller tank with similar cleaner crew that is effective. I would add 2 tuxedo urchins to yours and make sure you get Mexican turbos which are warmer water species don't get the Atlantic cold turbos. Also at least 10 cerith too.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a slightly smaller tank with similar cleaner crew that is effective. I would add 2 tuxedo urchins to yours and make sure you get Mexican turbos which are warmer water species don't get the Atlantic cold turbos. Also at least 10 cerith too.
Have you ever heard of the urchins crawling out of the tank? And thank you for the help

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd check out reefcleaners.org. If you have a tank with no lid, then check out the "rimless" clean up crew. Since you already have some snails, maybe select a crew for say a 65 gallon tank. I've been using reefcleaners for a few years, couldn't be happier. You can buy items individually, which I do on occassion. I'm having a vermatid issue at the moment, so I just bought some bumble bee snails.. John packs everything nicely, and answers any questions via email.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd check out reefcleaners.org. If you have a tank with no lid, then check out the "rimless" clean up crew. Since you already have some snails, maybe select a crew for say a 65 gallon tank. I've been using reefcleaners for a few years, couldn't be happier. You can buy items individually, which I do on occassion. I'm having a vermatid issue at the moment, so I just bought some bumble bee snails.. John packs everything nicely, and answers any questions via email.
Just checked them out and I’d love to order from them, only problem is I’m in Canada so they don’t ship here. Thanks!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 g dt
For sand I've got 11 nassarious snails,
1 conch,did have 2 but devil cleaner shrimp killed it.

About 25 hermits,mix of red legs,red scarlet,blue legs,and other multiply colours.
4 hermits in sump as snail killers,one used to literally chase a conch around tank whilst conch jumping backwards 6 inch high through water .

did accendently got 2 astrea snails but one slow and killed within hours and other kept going upside down so lasted about a week .

For rocks and glass I've got about 19 trouchus snails
Did have 2 blue tuxedo urchins but cake back from holiday and one dead ,followed by another dead 2 days later,not sure what happenned,I'm guessing as tank sitter fed 1x daily and missed some days out,other inhabitants got hungry and pounced but idk.
Do want to get at least 1 halloween urchin when rocks/glass start getting dirtier quicker but been 6 months now without urchins and glass doesnt get that dirty and not the rocks so holding out just incase.
But seems current cuc just right fir the moment so no need get more,I decide to get more if tank tells I need more

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back