Clean up crew list for new tank

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So just wanted to go over my cuc list to see if it looks good to you guys or if i should adjust anything

Its still a new tank, my 2 clown finish qt in a couple weeks

Was thinking to add

8 nassarius snails
8 astraea or trochus snails
8 cerith snails
5 blue legged hermits
And a cleaner shrimp (mainly for looks)
Thats to begin with

I have a 80 gallon tank

Any suggestions

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go over to: reefcleaners.org . They have packages based on this size of your tank. I just notice ur in Sydney, but it will give you an idea. gl

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok. Won’t be much for them to eat in the beginning. Nassarius snails are carnivores and need food in the sand and a new tank with clean sand may not be enough food for them, especially if feeding pellets only.

5 hermits and you may regret that later. They are bulldozers and sometimes eat snails to take their shells. I have a zero hermit crab tank because they just give more trouble than good IMO. maybe start with one or two hermits at most.

OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok. Won’t be much for them to eat in the beginning. Nassarius snails are carnivores and need food in the sand and a new tank with clean sand may not be enough food for them, especially if feeding pellets only.

5 hermits and you may regret that later. They are bulldozers and sometimes eat snails to take their shells. I have a zero hermit crab tank because they just give more trouble than good IMO. maybe start with one or two hermits at most.

Alright so 2 hermits, no nassarius for now thank you

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so 2 hermits, no nassarius for now thank you
Usually you won’t see nassarius snails anyway. They hide in the sand and come out when they smell food. I personally feel like they don’t help much

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LOL. It all works. I have about 20 hermits in my 75g dt and have no issues. It's a great hobby... what works for one might not work for another. :)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly want the nassarius to move the sand around, and the hermits, mainly because i like them lol
Unfortunately they’re not great sifters. They mostly sit under the sand. When they do come out, they surf over the sand. I’m not trying to turn you off of the idea of them. You can still add them to your tank. They won’t do any harm.

OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately they’re not great sifters. They mostly sit under the sand. When they do come out, they surf over the sand. I’m not trying to turn you off of the idea of them. You can still add them to your tank. They won’t do any harm.

Its always good to hear opinions man, always gaining new knowledge from a different perspective

Thank you

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've given up on murderous hermits. They're all banished to the sump for clean up duty lol.

I just went with cerith, astrea, and a few turbos and like how they've done in my 90

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always good to hear opinions man, always gaining new knowledge from a different perspective

Thank you
Fwiw I have 2 astrea and 3 nassarius (if all still alive) in my 130g. But my tangs are the true heroes of the crew. They stay busy all day. I’ve got one coral banded shrimp that only likes to clean fish

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly want the nassarius to move the sand around, and the hermits, mainly because i like them lol
If you want good sand sifting get a dwarf conch or 2. Just need to make sure your tank is stable enough and grows enough micro fauna and simple algae. I have 2 in my 90, about 3 inches each. They do a great job.

Desperado Lucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So just wanted to go over my cuc list to see if it looks good to you guys or if i should adjust anything

Its still a new tank, my 2 clown finish qt in a couple weeks

Was thinking to add

8 nassarius snails
8 astraea or trochus snails
8 cerith snails
5 blue legged hermits
And a cleaner shrimp (mainly for looks)
Thats to begin with

I have a 80 gallon tank

Any suggestions

Seems like a good list. I have a 75G, so roughly the same size. I have probably the same snails, plus a Mexican turbo and fighting conch, and about 4 small urchins. For hermits, I have only scarlet hermits (about 15 I’d guess), after reading they are least likely to cause problems. But, a lot of this can be apocryphal and it’s sometimes tough to separate a few stories from trends. I don’t believe the scarlet hermits have killed anything in my tank, but who knows. I’ve lost a marbled starfish and a blood shrimp in the past year, but I don’t think either were from the hermits.

OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want good sand sifting get a dwarf conch or 2. Just need to make sure your tank is stable enough and grows enough micro fauna and simple algae. I have 2 in my 90, about 3 inches each. They do a great job.
Thanks man coming to the end of the diamtoms stage, but no other algae so far,

So i just got a 3 nassarius snails and 4 hermits
And i just throw in a algae wafer once a week but they seem to be eating leftovers
All is good so far
Seems like a good list. I have a 75G, so roughly the same size. I have probably the same snails, plus a Mexican turbo and fighting conch, and about 4 small urchins. For hermits, I have only scarlet hermits (about 15 I’d guess), after reading they are least likely to cause problems. But, a lot of this can be apocryphal and it’s sometimes tough to separate a few stories from trends. I don’t believe the scarlet hermits have killed anything in my tank, but who knows. I’ve lost a marbled starfish and a blood shrimp in the past year, but I don’t think either were from the hermits.
Thanks for the info, i ended up buying blue legged hermits from what i was told
But they dont look like they have blue legs lol they are still small but i dont know they eat the diatoms so im not complaining

Attachments

• 20210312_181605.jpg
    20210312_181605.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fighting conch does great job keeping sand clean. Also red legged hermits, i.e. scarlet reef, are safer and will leave snails alone.
Thanks definately planning on getting the fighting conch but i dont think theres enough natural food to go around like algaes etc
But its on the list
Thank you

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks definately planning on getting the fighting conch but i dont think theres enough natural food to go around like algaes etc
But its on the list
Thank you
no worries. Actually fighting conch diet is detritus on sand not algae so they'll make an excellent CUC addition. BTW, Sydney rock oysters were by far the most amazing oysters I've ever had... miss all the amazing food you have avail there.

OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no worries. Actually fighting conch diet is detritus on sand not algae so they'll make an excellent CUC addition. BTW, Sydney rock oysters were by far the most amazing oysters I've ever had... miss all the amazing food you have avail there.
Awesome thanks !

You have to go to new Zealand first and try there oysters and muscles and seafood
Then we can talk about where the best is haha loll

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back