Clean up crew?

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am very new to saltwater and I need suggestions for a clean up crew for my tank. I have a Hoeven's wrasse and I heard he can eat some invertebrates. I already have a yellow banded coral shrimp and a white sea urchin. What else can I get for the clean up crew.

OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old id the tank? Consider starting with a "few"snails 1st maybe.
Oh its brand new, its maybe been like 1 month but Its a 20 gallon with around 15-16 pounds of liverock. Will my wrasse eat em up? I am asking because like 20 minutes ago I saw my wrasse scoop up a hitch hiking crab that came with the live rock.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails... Nerite and Cerith are good after any initial cycle since they are known to eat some of the first algaes that will but the tank, ie: diatoms, green algaes on the glass, etc... Nsssarius snails clean up food in the sand, so add those after the sand bed is established.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a snail would be ok . One month is still very young. Any algae showing up ? As for the crab, I personally don't trust them, so I think the wrasse got a good snack ! Where did the live rock come from? I do think "Live Rock" is cool with all the hitch hikers. Never know what Ya might get. I agree with Idoc.

OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a snail would be ok . One month is still very young. Any algae showing up ? As for the crab, I personally don't trust them, so I think the wrasse got a good snack ! Where did the live rock come from? I do think "Live Rock" is cool with all the hitch hikers. Never know what Ya might get. I agree with Idoc.
Yeah there are loads of a brown algae around the glass what should I do to remove? can I remove it manually or what inverts can I get to get rid of it? My urchin I think get some of it but he is small so he doesnt do that good of a job.

OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend I get a blenny so he can eat some of them? the other bottom dweller I have is a diamond goby will they compatible?

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to #reefcleaners.org and get a nice snail package from John Maloney. You won’t be disappointed. They will clean and keep your tank clean. They have a great mix of pest free snails.

OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to #reefcleaners.org and get a nice snail package from John Maloney. You won’t be disappointed. They will clean and keep your tank clean. They have a great mix of pest free snails.
I saw them in Live Aquaria but the thing is I live on campus at the University of Miami and I don't know how well they would treat such a fragile package and they hold the packages for one extra day after its delivered to process it for pick up so I dont want to risk it.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchasing only snails from reefcleaners won't be sent next day mail... they are sent to deliver 1-3 days later. I think you would be fine to have delivered a day later with only snails.

Or, you gotta know someone in an apartment at the university. Have the package delivered to them to bypass the school system.

Or just buy locally from a LFS... but they seem to be limited on what they have available for types of cuc snails in my area.

OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchasing only snails from reefcleaners won't be sent next day mail... they are sent to deliver 1-3 days later. I think you would be fine to have delivered a day later with only snails.

Or, you gotta know someone in an apartment at the university. Have the package delivered to them to bypass the school system.

Or just buy locally from a LFS... but they seem to be limited on what they have available for types of cuc snails in my area.
What about a small lawnmower blenny to add to a few nerites? will that help?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a small lawnmower blenny to add to a few nerites? will that help?

If it were me, I would hold off on adding any additional fish. The tank is only a month or so old... your going to have a disaster hit with too big of a bioload too quickly... possibly! Id only get some Cerith Snails and let them work on the algaes for you. My Nerite Snails see bigger, but they like to stay at the top of the tank just above the water line!

Last edited:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ramiro, I see your in Miami. I'm up in Jax . surely there are plenty of shops where You can get snails . Start small maybe 5 at 1st ? Also, snails need a long slow drip acclimation time. Are You familiar with this? I'm not good at links but Humblefish has "very good "info on acclimation steps for everything . I'm with Idoc on adding any fish yet. Gotta go slow right now . You can also cut back on the lighting right now. The wrasse won't care but the algae won't like it.

OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will go to my lfs this friday to get some snails. yes I am aware of the drip acclimation, I did it for my urchin and shrimp. Thanks for all the help, I might still get a blenny but in a few weeks they sound really dope.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back