Clean Up Crew

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start up my tank and never use any reef clean up crew. I think they are a waste of money. If the tank is healthy and mature, there will be nothing a clean up crew can eat. So do you let them die or do you start feeding them?

reefdude101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm i get where your coming from but ime ive found that a healthy reef hitting the right numbers always has some sort of algae wether that be film algae on glass every few days or heck even from detritus buildup in dead spots behind rock etc etc will always be something ive found, most of my current cuc eat detritus/uneaten stray pieces of mysis or pellet & where i can see no algae they are picking/grazing & realistically i haven’t had any deaths .. so to sum it up i feel like there’s a lot more then then we see/think is there usually.

reefdude101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm i get where your coming from but ime ive found that a healthy reef hitting the right numbers always has some sort of algae wether that be film algae on glass every few days or heck even from detritus buildup in dead spots behind rock etc etc will always be something ive found, most of my current cuc eat detritus/uneaten stray pieces of mysis or pellet & where i can see no algae they are picking/grazing & realistically i haven’t had any deaths .. so to sum it up i feel like there’s a lot more then then we see/think is there usually.
Also i wanted to add, if you look at them as just algae eaters/clean up crew i can see why you have the point of view they are a waste of money but for me, i feel a little different .. ime i feel like they are a beneficial piece of biodiversity contributing daily to a healthy reef where each piece has there place in the building blocks of a mature system, ultimately adding up to a well rounded/stable system inside a tiny glass box where each building block compliments other factors/things taking place over time in your tank .. & thus is the circle of life.

i guess everybody is different but personally i really enjoy the invertebrate/cuc side of things just as much as a healthy fish.

just my .02 !
Happy reefing.

OP
OP
Grey Guy

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice. Thanks

PennyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ocean has lots of animals snails, crabs, shrimp. All are part of a healthy ecosystem. A clean up crew of some kind will help keep that eco system healthy. No matter how much we work at perfection in our tanks thinks are there we can't see. The clean up crews are IMHO an essential part of keeping a tank healthy and happy.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back