Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching so many documentaries .
the most recent seaspiracy

the first thing that caught my attention . Seeking as eliminating plastics now is too late .
but what about cleaning the great pacific garbage patch ?
I’m sure that’s not the only place garbage accumulates

Seeing as R2R is one of the biggest reefing groups.
I think we could get enough people from all over together to organize a massive clean up ?

next : carbon ( c02 ) is absorbed by the ocean via plants and live stock waste

would a large group be able to grow corals , plants at a rate to actually make a difference ?

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that seaspiracy (as well as other documentaries) are not required to fact check their claims. https://www.bbc.com/news/56660823

1. The problem with removing the garbage is where would we put it? Third world countries are the typical trash destination and that has impacts on their health and some countries like China have said enough with sending trash. It can't be burned without causing issues, and much of it can't be recycled. It would also be extremely expensive.

2. Removing the amount of carbon dioxide we are putting in the air is not possible to remove effectively (not to mention the insane costs of many methods) at the rate we are producing it and destroying carbon sinks. This is a very complicated issue that unfortunately, the only way that we could make any difference is to radically cut emissions within the decade and stop destroying the world's carbon sinks. Also, tropical forests aka rainforests (huge carbon sinks) are likely to be eliminated across the world mid century, which is going to further promote issues with carbon dioxide.

Speaking of the coral growing, the pH of the ocean is on track by 2100 to be below the level that organisms can calcify, which will make calcifying organisms effectively extinct. This is if people do nothing. If people do something to cut emmisions, it will likely be less extreme. However, this is complicated in that while rich countires who benefited from global warming may change their ways, poorer countries may not join in and again this is also complciated by the fact that we are destroying some of the largest stores of carbon in the world.

Given that I can't be expelled from my university for not putting sources here and I am lazy, just pm me if you want a specific source

Last edited:
Back