Cleaner reefer water tips?

Jhoussock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 250 with two media cups filled with floss, a protein skimmer, Uv filter and mini reactor with carbon and gfo. My tank was bought used and moved about a month ago. All livestock is doing great but my water is always filled with tiny particles...not bubbles. I water change roughly 20 gallons every week. I also have dust algae on the glass every other day that needs to be knocked of with a magnet cleaner. I don’t mind the dust algae as much but would love to get the water cleared. Moving from fresh water I had nice clear water and just can’t seem to get it that way with salt. Any tips with the reefer sump that would clear out the particles better?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like things are going pretty well for you, other than maybe the need for a little more water ‘polishing.’ As a tweek, try using filter “pad” material for a while— as it will trap more (finer) particles than the floss. Of course, if you don’t mind the idea of adding ‘chemicals,’ try a little water clarifier which acts by binding / settling fine debris. Some people use a tiny dose as part of their maintence procedure— but it sounds like you just need a one-time jump to get out ahead of things. Best wishes!

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how every reef is different. Do you have sand or BB? A lot of flow? Some things it could be, fine sand being blown around, ditritus being blown around from a BB, the rock could be shedding particals, if its super fine like smoke in the water it could be bacterial.

OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sand Carib sea Fiji pink waters clear just has floaters. Decent flow with twin mp10s but don’t have them turned up much

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back