Cleaner Shrimp Death

mattm630

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my 2 cleaner shrimp about 6 months ago. My tank is as stable as it gets, they have been healthy and great the entire time. A couple weeks ago after both of them molted, I noticed on both of them that their antennas were unusually thin. Previously they were like bright white light sabers coming out of their bodies and my lights would make them glow. All of a sudden they were very thin and flimsy, having a couple bends in them. Yesterday one of them passed away, the shrimp showed signs of being very slow and losing balance which resulted into a very slow death. I have no idea what is going on, I tested my water and the worse thing i got is 0.2 ammonia ppm which to my knowledge is not even too bad. I’m here to learn if i need to dose my tank or not, I worry my second cleaner shrimp will pass too. I love these guys!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for potential iodine deficiency.
I run 0.03-0.06ppm iodide.
I have a cleaner and a blood red, both in their 4th year.
At least rule that out with a test.

OP
OP
M

mattm630

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested for Iodine and Copper? I know they need Iodine to properly molt, and copper is lethal to inverts.
+1 for potential iodine deficiency.
I run 0.03-0.06ppm iodide.
I have a cleaner and a blood red, both in their 4th year.
At least rule that out with a test.
i have not tested either of them. i don’t see how copper could’ve got into the tank. but last night my surviving cleaner shrimp molted again and looks back to normal. maybe a freak event? i’ll look into testing my water for those, thanks for letting me know what levels you keep urs at. also love to hear your shrimp do great

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back