Skunk Cleaner Shrimp Larvae?!?

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 3am here. My skunk cleaner shrimp, which has full of eggs since its last molt, just released a bunch of larvae into the tank. They're so tiny and there are so many of them! The fish are all sleeping and nobody has started having a feeding frenzy, but my LPS and softies are enjoying the live food. Can I save any of them? What are the odds they will survive in my 20 gallon AIO?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 3am here. My skunk cleaner shrimp, which has full of eggs since its last molt, just released a bunch of larvae into the tank. They're so tiny and there are so many of them! The fish are all sleeping and nobody has started having a feeding frenzy, but my LPS and softies are enjoying the live food. Can I save any of them? What are the odds they will survive in my 20 gallon AIO?
If the larvae are in a normal reef tank, they'll die. Survivors in cases like this do happen occasionally, but the odds are ridiculously low - given that skunk cleaner larvae remain pelagic for 3-5 months, their odds are essentially nonexistent.

To rear these guys, you'll need a larval rearing tank and some live foods: Artemia (brine shrimp), rotifers, and phytoplankton together will give the best survival results, but only the Artemia (and phyto to culture them with) are necessary.

For a really simple larval rearing setup, see the thread below:
For the complicated methods that might yield slightly better results (chapters 5 and 6 are the important ones for larval rearing purposes):

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back