New tank cleaners

Giancarlo_Flex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive had my tabk for around 2 months with my live stock, only have 2 clowns, 1 gamma, and 1 cleaner shrimp. My tank is looking dirty due to the detritus thats been there for 3 weeks. What addition should I add to clean my tank further?
IMG_2267.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like normal "uglies" to me. Your rock is not going to stay white. Your sand will also not be pristine... You can expect things to get worse (looking) before they get better. Diatoms, gha, possibly cyano and dinos - they all are/will be taking advantage of the empty real estate (rock and sand) and it may be a while before they find a balance.
The good news is, by letting your tank mature and go through the "algae cycle", it will end up more stable and biodiverse.

Patience... :)

OP
OP
G

Giancarlo_Flex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like normal "uglies" to me. Your rock is not going to stay white. Your sand will also not be pristine... You can expect things to get worse (looking) before they get better. Diatoms, gha, possibly cyano and dinos - they all are/will be taking advantage of the empty real estate (rock and sand) and it may be a while before they find a balance.
The good news is, by letting your tank mature and go through the "algae cycle", it will end up more stable and biodiverse.

Patience... :)
Oh ok thank you so much. Just thought it would be better to have some kind of snail/goby/hermit that would eat/clean that

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok thank you so much. Just thought it would be better to have some kind of snail/goby/hermit that would eat/clean that
You absolutely need to start adding a clean up crew.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should get some snails, especially if you have lights on the tank that’ll grow corals.

Barring very large water changes the only realistic way nitrates leave your water is via absorption into either coral or algae, and if you have reef lights on the tank the algae can and will use them.

As you add more fish the production of nutrients will increase, and so will the flora in the tank.

A diverse pack of snails will keep it in check. Hermits too, to an extent, and they’re kinda neat to see the different varieties, but snails are the easy and safe route. And a conch one your tank matures a bit more. It’ll keep your sand stirred up and cleaner.

Depending on your planned bioload you can expect to be able to stock approximately one snail per gallon in the DT.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, he sent me carnivorous whelks twice and cursed me out when I tried to let him know about it.
Lol.
Sorry to hear that, I've had nothing but exceptional service with them personally. 6 tanks all setup with various packages from them... Never had any issues

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive had my tabk for around 2 months with my live stock, only have 2 clowns, 1 gamma, and 1 cleaner shrimp. My tank is looking dirty due to the detritus thats been there for 3 weeks. What addition should I add to clean my tank further?
IMG_2267.jpeg
Everybody has gotten that, try snails and hermit crabs, lower light, get all parameters in range especially phosphate, and run silicate remover in a tumbler or reactor.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would include copepods for your cleanup crew. I’ll try to give you some specifics. For your rock: Mexican Turbo snails, trocus snails, stomatellas , ceriths, ninja star snails, and dwarf red and blue legged hermits. For your sand: nassarius snails and a tiger conch. Best overall alge eater, tuxedo urchin. That being said, throwing all of them in right now they would starve. Add them slowly as the need arises ( it will). I would start right now with copepods.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to pick a mix of snails and blue legged hermit crabs to start.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo cleaner shrimp are pretty useless as cleaners of anything. They are called that because they pick parasites off fish. Unless you are planning on putting fish in your tank which are known to have parasites they wont be cleaning anything. They are cool, pretty and ornamental in every aspect. Oh they will grab uneaten fish food.

Snails are going to make up the majority of your cuc. Trocus, nassarius snails if there is enough uneaten food bits they are carnivores for the most part, turbo snails, cerith snails, conch if a deep enough and large enough sand bed, I also agree if you can find stomatella snails they are great, Micro brittle stars if you have enough left over food and same for bristle worms, I dont do crabs they typically cause as much or more issues then they control.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back