Cleaner Shrimp did something odd

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I hope this is the right place to post this.
Yesterday I brought home a coral beauty angelfish for my tank and noticed something odd. My cleaner shrimp saw a brand new much larger creature than him, and decided "he looks like a good place to clean", jumped on and started cleaning. looked like he was on him for about a minute or two, and then jumped off. the angelfish did not seem to even notice, but I was wondering if this is normal behaviour for the shrimp or if something might be wrong with either the shrimp or the fish

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I hope this is the right place to post this.
Yesterday I brought home a coral beauty angelfish for my tank and noticed something odd. My cleaner shrimp saw a brand new much larger creature than him, and decided "he looks like a good place to clean", jumped on and started cleaning. looked like he was on him for about a minute or two, and then jumped off. the angelfish did not seem to even notice, but I was wondering if this is normal behaviour for the shrimp or if something might be wrong with either the shrimp or the fish
This is normal behavior for the shrimp! When I had a couple cleaner shrimp in my tank they would constantly chase my fish down and start picking them! :D

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal behavior for the shrimp! When I had a couple cleaner shrimp in my tank they would constantly chase my fish down and start picking them! :D
this is my first salt water tank so I wasn't sure. The Coral Beauty is the third fish I added, and he mostly left the two clowns I started with alone (they had been seen being jerks when he'd gone up to them though, so maybe he tried and they just didn't let him?) will he hurt the fish? should they be seperated?

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is my first salt water tank so I wasn't sure. The Coral Beauty is the third fish I added, and he mostly left the two clowns I started with alone (they had been seen being jerks when he'd gone up to them though, so maybe he tried and they just didn't let him?) will he hurt the fish? should they be seperated?
Congrats on your first saltwater tank! Haha that’s funny my clowns never let the shrimp pick them they were too scared. No he won’t hurt the fish and you do not need to separate them. Most the time the shrimp is jus picking dead skin off the fish.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your first saltwater tank! Haha that’s funny my clowns never let the shrimp pick them they were too scared. No he won’t hurt the fish and you do not need to separate them. Most the time the shrimp is jus picking dead skin off the fish.
awesome. thank you!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back