cleaner shrimp gone nocturnal

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this cleaner shrimp for 2-3 years. The first year or so it was always out at it's favorite rock. Then, it started to only come out in the late afternoon and for the last 8 or 10 months it only comes out well after dark. It looks good, problem is I hardly ever get to see it.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this cleaner shrimp for 2-3 years. The first year or so it was always out at it's favorite rock. Then, it started to only come out in the late afternoon and for the last 8 or 10 months it only comes out well after dark. It looks good, problem is I hardly ever get to see it.

Mine does this too. I have no clue why. My guess would be something to do with molting or a feeding schedule but I honestly don't know. I feed in the evening every time and it gets way more active closer to feeding time. When do you typically feed?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Mine does this on occasion and I have belief its associated with its upcoming molt when it occurs as they tend to molt in low light and dark rather than daytime

OP
OP
S

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed pellets in the morning and shellfish late afternoon/early evening.

It hasn't shown itself during the day for at least 8 months. But still, I wonder if it could be a molting thing and maybe associated with low iodine. The last ATI lab test had iodine flagged for being low. I figured no biggie-I don't have coral yet. I'll bring the iodine level up and see. I haven't seen a molt in quite awhile.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I feed pellets in the morning and shellfish late afternoon/early evening.

It hasn't shown itself during the day for at least 8 months. But still, I wonder if it could be a molting thing and maybe associated with low iodine. The last ATI lab test had iodine flagged for being low. I figured no biggie-I don't have coral yet. I'll bring the iodine level up and see. I haven't seen a molt in quite awhile.
Calcium and iodine important for them especially with molting If a molting issue

OP
OP
S

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough, the cleaner shrimp is out today. I haven't seen him during the day since forever. His antenna are short and kinda funky. I wonder if he is in a dire need to molt. I have potassium iodide on the way, I'll let you guys know if that helps.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%

Back