Cleaner shrimp hand snack

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else enjoy having their hands cleaned by their cleaner shrimp? When they see me approach the tank they move to hang around the filter area where my hand usually goes in. Waiting to clean my hands.
Do you think they would get much nutrition from this? I was wondering if rubbing sand paper on my hands before putting in the tank would give them more stuff to "clean off" haha.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tickles doesn’t it? I started to wear reef gloves any time I put my hand in there. I don’t want to get any of my dirty in the tank. Oils from skin, anything I inadvertently touched and so forth.

Jarhead-CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a big tank of just cleaner shrimp in the Atlanta aquarium for people to stick their hands in and it is a cool feeling.
20190228_132056.jpg

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tickles doesn’t it? I started to wear reef gloves any time I put my hand in there. I don’t want to get any of my dirty in the tank. Oils from skin, anything I inadvertently touched and so forth.
that is one of my concerns too. I always rinse my hands first with just water. But then I wonder if I am not just rinsing what they like to eat off too.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is one of my concerns too. I always rinse my hands first with just water. But then I wonder if I am not just rinsing what they like to eat off too.
I think they don’t need any food from us. Mine eat basically anything. I always give mine a piece of food when I feed the fish. They molt about twice a month.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they don’t need any food from us. Mine eat basically anything. I always give mine a piece of food when I feed the fish. They molt about twice a month.
Its more for me than them haha. They eat the fish food when I feed my fish (dry and frozen) and clean my fish too.. I just like the feeling. They love digging around my nail cuticles.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its more for me than them haha. They eat the fish food when I feed my fish (dry and frozen) and clean my fish too.. I just like the feeling. They love digging around my nail cuticles.
Perhaps fill a bathtub full of saltwater and throw a bunch in for a true cleaning

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back