Cleaner shrimp molted, now seems drunk.

CoRPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, cleaner shrimp molted either yesterday or the day before. Since then he has looked like hes been drinking his problems away. Seems to have no strength against the powerheads, looks lost and confused. This normal behavior for a cleaner shrimp before/after a molt?

This is my first cleaner shrimp I’ve had longer than a day. My cat ate the last one... there’s a net over the top now.

Brofessor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peppermint shrimp constantly sway back and forth like they're drunk, even when the filter and powerhead are turned off. I think some schrimp are just like that.

Brofessor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. Sorry to hear that.

What are your water parameters and which ones tend to fluctuate? What are the other tank inhabitants and how long has it been setup for? Anything else you can think of that changed recently could help us get to the cause, like lighting, possible contaminants, new rocks, new filter media, etc.

They're supposed to be pretty hardy, which is why people can throw them in when their tank still isn't fully cycled.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Molting is a stressful experience. Shrimp and crabs are most likely to die (or be attacked) during or right after a molt.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 molt recently. One had no problem.. the other died mid molt.

OP
OP
C

CoRPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t currently dose anything. The tank is a 20l with a decent amount (relatively speaking) of frags. So I just do 5-10g water changes about every week.

The only thing out of whack is nitrates which at the last test was between 20 and 50 on the Red Sea chart. With that said when I got the tank it had untestable (maxed out the api test kit instantly, 180?) amounts of nitrates and a living/happy pistol shrimp. Maybe they’re more hardy?

The tank is SEVERAL years old. Maybe close to 4-5. However during a hurricane a year or so ago the tank lost power and all the coral died. After that the previous owner (a buddy of mine) gave up and just fed the fish and turf algae took over.

I’ve had the tank for about 3 months at this point and have slowly been decreasing nitrates and there is zero sign of algae in the tank, some in the overflow, and a ball of chaeto that doesn’t seem to be growing very much in the 15g sump.

All the coral seem happy with the parameters. But I think at the end of the day the cherub angelfish beat the shrimp up. I noticed the days leading up to his molt (and death) his white front feet (feeders?) looked about half the size they should have been. The angel is currently picking on the yellow spot goby. I’m worried about him.

With my cleaner shrimp history I think I’ll stay away from them from now on. But to me, a cleaner shrimp is one of those things that just make a reef tank look complete. Without those 4 blaring white antenna sticking out from overhangs it just looks... incomplete.

Thanks for the help guys. Better luck next time (maybe?)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without those 4 blaring white antenna sticking out from overhangs it just looks... incomplete.

There are 6, or at least there should be! :p

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you dont vodka dose?

Brofessor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CoRPS I think you're probably right about him being killed by the angelfish. The nitrates shouldn't have affected him, as far as I know.

kpl_creations

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just set up our new tank and got a cleaner shrimp. I found him dead and scooped him out and txt'd my wife. An hour later I saw him running around! I figured he had molted but it looked just like him. I txt'd my wife back ( she is a nurse ) that he was alive so do I get the award for miracle save of the day?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back