Cleaner shrimp not molting?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2020
Messages
39,225
Reaction score
39,986
Location
Dundee, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I've had a cleaner shrimp, Lysmata amboinensis since April and it hasn't molted (in close to 6 months). A Halloween hermit has molted twice in the same time frame.

I'm used to these molting every 3 to 6 weeks. This is a very large one, does anyone know if this species has a "terminal molt" like some crabs do, where they have a final molt and then eventually die of old age?


Thanks,

Jay
 
Agreed - I got my cleaner as a tiny baby over a year ago and the molting has slowed down significantly over the last few months.
 
Hi folks,

I've had a cleaner shrimp, Lysmata amboinensis since April and it hasn't molted (in close to 6 months). A Halloween hermit has molted twice in the same time frame.

I'm used to these molting every 3 to 6 weeks. This is a very large one, does anyone know if this species has a "terminal molt" like some crabs do, where they have a final molt and then eventually die of old age?


Thanks,

Jay

Well, it molted today and is fine. I just needed to be more patient.....
 
he is either getting old, or not getting enough food
 
Doesn't low iodine interfere with shrimp molting?

Yes - for all crustaceans. Not iodide though, has to be elemental iodine.

This shrimp ending up molting fine, I just wasn’t patient enough (grin).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new