Cleaner shrimp/Peppermint shrimp compatibility?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I've got a pair of cleaner shrimp that are thriving in my 75g (48x24x15) tank. I have two very small tangs in there, so I don't want to add a copperband or filefish to help with my aiptasia problem, they'll get beat up at this point.

This has me thinking of picking up a peppermint shrimp. I know the risks with coral, but I'm mostly acropora and haven't had a problem with those in the past and peppermints. Not that THAT means a lot in this hobby. I'm more worried about the cleaners vs the peppermint. Will they co-exist well? I don't want to lose this pair to a peppermint, thats for sure.

I would love to hear your experiences keeping both together. Also if you could tell me system size and how many you have that would be great.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Had both in a 93 cube and they couldn’t care less about each other

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed too much for the peppermint shrimp to want to eat them so I went with Berghia Nudibranchs instead.... however I personally would worry more about the peppermint than the cleaners if push came to shove.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a cleaner shrimp, a fire shrimp and a peppermint shrimp in a 28g cube and they never even looked at each other. The cleaner is in a different tank with a mate now but IME, you should be totally fine.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome to hear. I added a peppermint. During the drip he molted which is a first for me. I added him at lights out, so far he's MIA. Hopefully he makes it. I know they can be a little reclusive after molting normally but hopefully it doesn't make it weaker in any way.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've been searching but can't fine the peppermint shrimp anywhere so far. I think it was due to poor timing on the molt? I drip acclimated it for a good amount of time.

I've got a ICP out last week so if that comes back clean I'll try again.

Thanks for everyone's input, glad to hear they should be compatible.

Kiwi369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine has 2 peppermints and 2 cleaner shrimp in about 20 gallons. They couldn't care less about each other...

And as far as I was aware Peppermint shrimp were reef safe? I thought it were the Dancing shrimps you had to look out for with corals?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine has 2 peppermints and 2 cleaner shrimp in about 20 gallons. They couldn't care less about each other...

And as far as I was aware Peppermint shrimp were reef safe? I thought it were the Dancing shrimps you had to look out for with corals?
It depends. They can start to pick on corals. When I kept LPS and would spot feed them, they'd be a major issue. They steal the food but sometimes just keep going and gut the acan/ect. I also saw one pull apart a freshly added wall hammer. I'm not sure if it was stress and release something that attracted it or what.

Kiwi369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. They can start to pick on corals. When I kept LPS and would spot feed them, they'd be a major issue. They steal the food but sometimes just keep going and gut the acan/ect. I also saw one pull apart a freshly added wall hammer. I'm not sure if it was stress and release something that attracted it or what.
Sure it were peppermint shrimp and not camel shrimp? (I said dancing shrimp, idkn if that's correct, we call them that in my native language, and I just translated it litterally)
Cause the camel shrimp are famous for murdering corals. But I've never heard peppermint shrimp harming corals. But it could be because of the spot feeding.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it were peppermint shrimp and not camel shrimp? (I said dancing shrimp, idkn if that's correct, we call them that in my native language, and I just translated it litterally)
Cause the camel shrimp are famous for murdering corals. But I've never heard peppermint shrimp harming corals. But it could be because of the spot feeding.
They do look similar. I purchased it as a peppermint from my LFS. The one that did the hammer was earlier on in my reefing days so thats possible if it was sold to me wrong. The one in my old 100g was a peppermint for sure but I know there are variations to peppermint shrimps as well.

Kiwi369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do look similar. I purchased it as a peppermint from my LFS. The one that did the hammer was earlier on in my reefing days so thats possible if it was sold to me wrong. The one in my old 100g was a peppermint for sure but I know there are variations to peppermint shrimps as well.
True... I'll make sure to check with my lfs, cause I was planning on getting some peppermints too. Thanks for your replies.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I've got a pair of cleaner shrimp that are thriving in my 75g (48x24x15) tank. I have two very small tangs in there, so I don't want to add a copperband or filefish to help with my aiptasia problem, they'll get beat up at this point.

This has me thinking of picking up a peppermint shrimp. I know the risks with coral, but I'm mostly acropora and haven't had a problem with those in the past and peppermints. Not that THAT means a lot in this hobby. I'm more worried about the cleaners vs the peppermint. Will they co-exist well? I don't want to lose this pair to a peppermint, thats for sure.

I would love to hear your experiences keeping both together. Also if you could tell me system size and how many you have that would be great.
maybe could bicker a bit in a smaller tank, but i dont think theyll care about each-others presence all too much

pezcadoazul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed too much for the peppermint shrimp to want to eat them so I went with Berghia Nudibranchs instead.... however I personally would worry more about the peppermint than the cleaners if push came to shove.
This thread is old, but I agree with your comment about worrying more about the peppermint than the cleaners. To nip the emergence of aiptasia in the bud, I just added a peppermint to a 75 with two cleaners. The cleaners are very aggressive toward the peppermint at feeding time. It has been a few weeks and the peppermint has yet to attack the aiptasia - not even the one in its favorite hiding place. It the past I have always had success with peppermints controlling aiptasia.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back