Cleaner shrimp psycho with nacariuss snails?

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there !
I have a new 10 gallons tank with a yellow clown goby , about a dozen lbs of reef rocks and i will soon add live sand and about 6 nacariuss snails and astrea snails to clean the sand and glass . I am wondering if it is true that cleaner shrimps can sometimes become psycho killers towards snails and feather dusters. I actually have snails so i dont want to add a shrimp that may eventually harm or kill them. Im looking for any personal experience about cleaner shrimps with inverts.

Thanks in advance !

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Shrimps can be jerks. May def eat feather dusters and such. Also opportunists.
Honestly 10 gal is also too small for most of the common cleaner shrimps.
I’d highly reccomend looking at smaller shrimps. The pederson shrimp and other anemone shrimp are also cleaners. And much more suited to an aquarium your size.
Plus the Pedersons do a hilarious dance when they get ready to eat or see you hand in the tank. It’s the signal to fish they are cleaners.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Shrimps can be jerks. May def eat feather dusters and such. Also opportunists.
Honestly 10 gal is also too small for most of the common cleaner shrimps.
I’d highly reccomend looking at smaller shrimps. The pederson shrimp and other anemone shrimp are also cleaners. And much more suited to an aquarium your size.
Plus the Pedersons do a hilarious dance when they get ready to eat or see you hand in the tank. It’s the signal to fish they are cleaners.
Thanks ! Ill go check this out right away :)

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine likes to mess with my feather dusters but has never explicitly eaten them. He caused on to drop its crown but it regrew in a month or so. He does do a good job of keeping the tubes/feathers clean.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Welcome to R2R lol and your from Canada (sooooo neato), we would love to see pics of your tank. You find lots of lovely people here and they are super helpful.

Yes your tank is a tad small for those and I would not do more than maybe 8 pounds or rock. I would also let your tank cycle before you place critters in there. If your tank has already cycled, I definitely would use live rock. :) love to see some pictures.

Sincerely
Sarah

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon gobies are great cleaners. I will say cleaner shrimp tend to hate them, because fish will regularly visit the goby for a cleaning over the shrimp.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Welcome to R2R lol and your from Canada (sooooo neato), we would love to see pics of your tank. You find lots of lovely people here and they are super helpful.

Yes your tank is a tad small for those and I would not do more than maybe 8 pounds or rock. I would also let your tank cycle before you place critters in there. If your tank has already cycled, I definitely would use live rock. :) love to see some pictures.

Sincerely
Sarah
Alright ! ☺ ill think of something else than a cleaner shrimp ... i REALLY like shrimps and crabs but sadly theyre psychos most of the time haha ... ill take a picture tonight since the overwhelming daylight makes the pictures awful. I do water change every 3 days (30%) until it cycle ...is that okay? I plan on adding 6 lbs of live sand (Carrib•Sea ? ) next week and maybe nacariuss snails... does that sound good? The tank can almost be considered cycled afterwards ? I also add live bacteria after every 3 days wc

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon gobies are great cleaners. I will say cleaner shrimp tend to hate them, because fish will regularly visit the goby for a cleaning over the shrimp.
Haha theyre jealous !:) ive yet to see them ! My local reefer doesnt have them they were thw first fish i wanted !

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright ! ☺ ill think of something else than a cleaner shrimp ... i REALLY like shrimps and crabs but sadly theyre psychos most of the time haha ... ill take a picture tonight since the overwhelming daylight makes the pictures awful. I do water change every 3 days (30%) until it cycle ...is that okay? I plan on adding 6 lbs of live sand (Carrib•Sea ? ) next week and maybe nacariuss snails... does that sound good? The tank can almost be considered cycled afterwards ? I also add live bacteria after every 3 days wc

Lol your so funny :) but since your tank is running even with live sand it will cycle again but just won’t take as long. When you do add it lol do not just dump it in. It will make your tank super cloudy and you could stress everything out. Instead use a cup and lid that slides off or piece of plastic small plate whatever you find in the cubbard. Anyway as you put the sand in have the glass upside down with the lid on and supported with your hand. Then put the glass on the bottom slide the lid off and pull the cup off or up an inch or two and then slide the cup on the bottom. This will give you very little cloudyness and won’t stress your critters out.

My lfs doesn’t carry those fish either but they do special order. Have you tried to special order them yet?

Sincerely
Sarah

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop doing the water changes.
Just let it stew for a month. Do a big water change.
Nature will take it course.
You want bacteria to get in the Rock, right now it’s in the water, along with it’s food (ammoina)

Get the critters YOU like, and design the rest of the tank mates around that.
I had a large hermit for 6 years named Al , and a porcelain crab named herb for almost as long.
I have to acro crabs now (cha cha cha and Marange) for two years.
My red porcelain (Popeye) I’ve had for close to 4 years.

Al lived in a 5g pico for 3 years.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol your so funny :) but since your tank is running even with live sand it will cycle again but just won’t take as long. When you do add it lol do not just dump it in. It will make your tank super cloudy and you could stress everything out. Instead use a cup and lid that slides off or piece of plastic small plate whatever you find in the cubbard. Anyway as you put the sand in have the glass upside down with the lid on and supported with your hand. Then put the glass on the bottom slide the lid off and pull the cup off or up an inch or two and then slide the cup on the bottom. This will give you very little cloudyness and won’t stress your critters out.

My lfs doesn’t carry those fish either but they do special order. Have you tried to special order them yet?

Sincerely
Sarah
Nope havent tried to order yet... i tried special ordering yellow clown goby though since i find them super cute and funny as pet fish ..but a year ago my local reefer could nt have any...until about a month ago i was hyper! Haha and sssoo happy that my goby would eat right away...many wild caught yellow clown goby are reported to refuse eating and let themselves die :/ .... thanks for the tip too!im sure to use this tip haha.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop doing the water changes.
Just let it stew for a month. Do a big water change.
Nature will take it course.
You want bacteria to get in the Rock, right now it’s in the water, along with it’s food (ammoina)

Get the critters YOU like, and design the rest of the tank mates around that.
I had a large hermit for 6 years named Al , and a porcelain crab named herb for almost as long.
I have to acro crabs now (cha cha cha and Marange) for two years.
My red porcelain (Popeye) I’ve had for close to 4 years.

Al lived in a 5g pico for 3 years.
Wow awesome !!!! One of my zebra hermit crab is very huge and he has so much personality... i really am a big fan of sw inverts haha. I haf 2 hitchhikers xanthids crab about couple months ago... loved them so much that instead of killing them like moat reefers do i bought them a separate tank hahaha xd ! They were so fun to watch

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow awesome !!!! One of my zebra hermit crab is very huge and he has so much personality... i really am a big fan of sw inverts haha. I haf 2 hitchhikers xanthids crab about couple months ago... loved them so much that instead of killing them like moat reefers do i bought them a separate tank hahaha xd ! They were so fun to watch

Just one question though : Wouldnt it be bad for my lil yellow clown goby if i let it "stew for a month" like you said ?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one question though : Wouldnt it be bad for my lil yellow clown goby if i let it "stew for a month" like you said ?
I missed a bit there.
Most don’t cycle the tank with a fish in it.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed a bit there.
Most don’t cycle the tank with a fish in it.

Its not a total cycling... i mean by that that i added live rock and live sand in great quantity plus i add some live bacteria in the tank every other day. So i guess i can almost say it is cycled since ita been a month already.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not like if i just dropped the fiah in saltwater with no colonies of bacteria . I have almost all the bacteria needed... its the bacteria in the filter that was to grow. But my guess is that it was quick since i had live rock and live sand too.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a total cycling... i mean by that that i added live rock and live sand in great quantity plus i add some live bacteria in the tank every other day. So i guess i can almost say it is cycled since ita been a month already.
Grab an ammoina alert badge. It’ll let you know if you have ammoina.
If you don’t , the tank is cycled.
Adding new rock and sand generally does not mean re cycling.
A “mini cyclel” is an oft misused term.
One the cycle starts , it does not end until the bacteria all dies.
A true mini cycle is the sudden addiction of ammonia. This can happen when adding new dead rock or live rock that has been left out of the water too long. The ammonia is produced by the die off or decomposition of organics or bacteria on the rock.

Adding new live sand (if its fresh)will not cause a mini cycle.
It may cause diatoms or funny algaes , those are minerals though , and many mistakenly refer to that as a mini cycle.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab an ammoina alert badge. It’ll let you know if you have ammoina.
If you don’t , the tank is cycled.
Adding new rock and sand generally does not mean re cycling.
A “mini cyclel” is an oft misused term.
One the cycle starts , it does not end until the bacteria all dies.
A true mini cycle is the sudden addiction of ammonia. This can happen when adding new dead rock or live rock that has been left out of the water too long. The ammonia is produced by the die off or decomposition of organics or bacteria on the rock.

Adding new live sand (if its fresh)will not cause a mini cycle.
It may cause diatoms or funny algaes , those are minerals though , and many mistakenly refer to that as a mini cycle.
Thank you very much... ☺ ! Any tips is welcome !

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back