Cleaner shrimp with a notrite spike?

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love goniopora!
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2024
Messages
7,693
Reaction score
38,345
Location
East Coast
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, today I was planning to go pick up a cleaner shrimp for my fish tank. I have 0 ammonia, but for some reason have high nitrites, like 5ppm, and I assume that means I have high nitrates. I did a 20% water change last night, so I don't know why it's so high. Can I still pick up a cleaner shrimp?

Edit: just realised there is a typo in the title, it means to say nitrites.
 
assuming this is a new tank. i wouldn't get any shrimp until you know for sure the tank is cycled, if you add anything now there is a chance the ammonia could go back up and kill your shrimp.
 
assuming this is a new tank. i wouldn't get any shrimp until you know for sure the tank is cycled, if you add anything now there is a chance the ammonia could go back up and kill your shrimp.
Oh ok. That kind of sucks I was hoping I could get one.
 
Why are you checking nitrites? Are you cycling the tank? No need to ever check nitrite once the tank is cycled.

What are the ammonia and nitrate levels? Thats the important info
My tank is just about finished, my ammonia levels have been at 0 for around a week, but my nitrite levels are still very high.

I use a API test kit, (once its gone I will use salifert), so the nitrates are false high with nitrites present, so I haven't tested for it on a while.

I am going to the fish store today, to get my water tested.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new